Open comb/closed comb

Ids

Becides the visual difference, what are the differences in shave delivered by these 2 head types? I'm quite tempted to try a open comb.

From what I have read an open comb razor will tend to be more aggressive than a closed comb.

However, I do not believe that it is quite as clear cut as that.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to explain more.

Lots of posts here re open comb razors :

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5172</a><!-- l -->

The impression I came away with is that the Gillette 'NEW' is the one to go for.

Ids said:
Becides the visual difference, what are the differences in shave delivered by these 2 head types? I'm quite tempted to try a open comb.

Hi there,

The magic number is #4 on my Gillette adjustables. That's about perfect for me when it comes to performance and comfort. I can go a few clicks higher without a problem, which is what some of the open comb types feel like on my face. There's other OC versions that have waaaay more of a bite to em, and those take some extra attention to detail. I never use those because I feel the blade too much on my face.

If my magic # was something like a 6-7, then I'd consider them both in a different light. I do think that even the mildest OC type is gonna be more aggressive than most razors with a safety bar.

To me, the shave is closer with most open combs. I wish I could get that close with my favorite razor, but I can't. It's something about the way the blade's presented to my face that gives me such a smooth shave. Too bad none are a good fit for everyday use.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom