Online privacy

Been reading and watching with interest the concerns around Whatsapp's new T&C's. Further integration and data sharing with Facebook. Not sure how many people will make the move to Signal. I have one contact on Signal o_O

Been reading and watching with interest the concerns around Whatsapp's new T&C's. Further integration and data sharing with Facebook. Not sure how many people will make the move to Signal. I have one contact on Signal o_O

I've had Signal installed for ages and only had one person that I wanted to talk to on it. I've been telling people that I won't be continuing to use WhatsApp and have gotten a few people and a small group to move to Signal or Telegram. I've not been completely successful, some people I might have to end up SMSing :(

To my mind, if someone is going to persist with a Facebook profile there's probably nothing to lose with the new WhatsApp T&Cs. Folks who want to make the switch to, say, Signal or Telegram should do so and encourage their contacts to do so as well. It's just an(other) app to install and carry on about your day. That's just how folks started to use WhatsApp in the first place, anyway. Whatever your choice, it will gain gravity by you doing just that and forming a social circle around it.

Did I post https://www.privacytools.io/ before? Plenty of sound advice and a decent read even if you don't act on any of it. Forewarned is forearmed.
Great share, Paul. Just looked at the browser recommendation. I have returned to Firefox over the last few weeks. It seems that the recent updates have speeded up the browser. I'll work through the Privacy Tools website. Ta muchly (y)

I have been a user of Skiff email - they've been acquired and are shutting down completely in 6 months time. Such a shame - I really liked their private email and calender suite. Possible questions over their business model; however, another privacy focussed company on the way out.

Off to check out Proton and Mailfence. Sigh.

I personally gave up on "encrypted/private email" some time ago, because this always requires the other side to also participate (e.g. use the same provider/app/tools) and everyone else I communicate with (outside of the closest family) just uses google or microsoft or some other "free" service.

So in the end I use some small (paid) providers for email (let me know if you want to know who), and roll my own calendar/contacts service (nextcloud on a VPS). I am hoping that by paying for the service and using small opinionated companies that have been around for a while, my emails are not data-mined. On my end that is, they of course are at the other end.

I dont think along the lines of threat models - just quite like the idea of reducing big tech companies in my life. Google are great at scraping emails for targeted advertising purposes. I'll have a mooch at some reviews. (y)

Proton is a sound platform - more and more functionality coming into their ecosystem and the cost is not offensive if you want to financially support them with the commercial offering.
Big thumbs up for this.
I use my Proton mail address for my Finances only and the free account is perfect for my needs, I have used them for years with absolutely zero spam getting through.

Lets be honest here, you are tracked to within an inch of your life. Facial recognition cameras, security cameras on almost every lamp post, speed cameras everywhere, cameras on Busses, Train, Airports, everywhere. The Credit/Debit card companies and online retailers know where you buy your undies and whether they are Boxers, Rubber or Pink Frilly Thongs.
Your details are available to everyone who wants to find them, sold on to Chinese and African scammers, nothing is private anymore. Browsing history is easy to find if you are an ISP.
Being tracked isn't unusual, it's the norm. You just have to be as careful as possible online.

Reactions: PHR
Back
Top Bottom