One Step Forward Two Steps Back

For the last 10 shaves i have been using a 40s SS Black Tip and it has been a pain in the arse every shave.

Previously i had used a FT SS for best part of a couple of months and got on with it pretty well and before that was the 34 & 38C - ditto.

Todays shave was the last straw to be honest with another couple of nicks.I have used Astra's (blade of choice) and Iridiums with the same results and have used the same brush (404) and soap (tabac) through out.

My skin began looking more my like my 16 year old sons, rather than it's usual picture of smooth yet rugged manliness, so tonight it was time for a change.

Rather than move to one of the other *checks wife can't see* dozen or so gillettes i have in my stash, i got out my 34C (38C sold on BST), put in a new Iridium and did a 2 pass blood free shave!

As the razor in question was best described as user grade, i am hoping that it was shagged and that's what the problem was, as i love the look of 40s SS and would be disappointed if they turned in to my Nemesis.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Check it carefully for equal blade gap, safety bar alignment, bent corners or any other physical damage. If it's straight, as is often the case it might just take a bit of getting used to.

Isn't there a aluminium handled version of the black tip? If it is that will take some getting used to.

Mick, I have both Black Tip and 40s style Superspeeds and while not my favourite razors I have had decent shaves with both. It could be that there is indeed a physical problem with the razor.

I'd be happy to lend you mine for a comparison if you bung me a few quid for postage.

Rik.

Thanks for the offer Rik, however i have 3 other 40s SS and 2 Rockets :roll: so i am well covered. To be honest, another razor dropping on the doormat with the excuse of 'it's a lone-r' would sound as hollow as my paypal account. And anyway, i've already used that one :oops:

BTW Antdad, yep it did have the alu handle - maybe i need something with a bit of heft/better head to handle balance. Maybe this weekend will be HD Rocket time.

UPDATE:

After several days of recuperation with my Merkur, i ventured back to Gillette tonight with my first ever try with my HD Rocket. Different beast, it really was. So different afterwards i went and got out the BT again and just compared how they felt and handled. No comparison, I obviously need a weightier, more solid, better balance. My shaves with my 34C were good, as good as they ever were before, i shaved well with my FT SS and now tonight. Not saying that aluminium handles are the work of the Devil, as maybe with a 3 piece head i will get along fine, but for me with a TTO head i need the reassurance of something substantial in my hand :eek:

Back
Top Bottom