One single stone to get, coticule?

Merkurologist

LeJog 2022 Finisher
I'm thinking about getting a stone to maintain three razors.

I've done some reading and it seems that I can maintain the edge with a single stone, a coticule.

Is anybody doing this successfully?

Where is the best place to get one that is ready to go?

Here is My Belgian Coticule Barbers Finishing Hone..It Depends what You Mean by Maintain..This Coticule is a Finishing Stone & Will Maintain a Shave Ready SR for Years Probably..Some People Use a SINGLE STONE Coticule as a Progression After they Set the Bevel with a 1 K Naniwa or Something..

Although we Cant Talk about Grit Rating for Natural Stones we Can Talk about Finishing Capacity..My Coticule has around 14/15 K Finishing Capacity or there about Using Lather on the Stone on for Finishing..

There is a Combination Coticule a Lot of Folks Use..One Side is Blue & the Other Yellowish..For a So Called Single Stone Progression Using Various Slurry Techniques..The Bevel is usually Set on a 1 K Bevel Stone Beforehand..

I have a Limited Knowledge but I Do Know the Coticule I Have is a Very Good One with a Higher Grit Finishing Capacity that a Lot of Coticules..

Billy

Thanks for that Billy.

Well, what I have in mind is basically maintaining shave ready razors.... a kind of refreshing if you like. I think that would be sufficient for my needs.

I did read something about a combination coticule but maybe that would complicate things. I saw a video where the razor was refreshed in three steps with a coticule and 3 thicknesses of slurry and that sounds perfect for what I need.

Can you suggest a good place to get one? It seems that it's easier to get hold of one in the USA which it's crazy, given the fact they come from Belgium

This is My Advice..There have been a Number of Barber Coticule Paddle Hones on EBay Recently..These were Obviously Hand Selected for Finishing & Refreshing SRs..That Why I Got One..I Knew it was Fit for Purpose..You Don't Need a Combination Hone for Finishing or Refreshing..Also..A Lot of them are Just around the 10 K Finishing Mark..That's Fine but Mine is a Lot Finer than that..

Some of these Old Stones Go for a Fair Bit of Money Mind..Alternatively this Vendor here will Hand Select a Fine Coticule for Finishing SRs if You Contact Him..Or So I Am Informed..I Find Mine as Easy to use as a Synthetic..That My Stone Mind as Some Say Not all are Easy to Use..
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...-F4Z1kunTgr0sDWlg&sig2=6h93ktZU8zB6lL8M93sc8g

Billy