One pass

For those few that only do one pass. Do you sort of hack away at it which would involve going over the same small area more than once eg scrape scrape scrape then move to a new area. Or would it be better and quicker to go over an area quickly once and lather up for a second quick pass XTG?
I'm thinking two passes might be quicker and healthier.

Definitely, always go for beard reduction rather than trying a one pass hatchet job.

It doesn't have to be XTG for the second pass...you could start with a couple of WTG passes and take it from there. Try and map the direction of your beard growth so you can then decide the best direction for a pass.

antdad said:
Definitely, always go for beard reduction rather than trying a one pass hatchet job.

It doesn't have to be XTG for the second pass...you could start with a couple of WTG passes and take it from there. Try and map the direction of your beard growth so you can then decide the best direction for a pass.

+1

Really good advice from Antdad. Only a couple of months ago I realised the hairs an inch down from the ears actually start to go sideways instead of down. Beard reduction + Mapping is key.

Yup, it's only when I let my beard grow a bit that I realised that the hairs on my cheeks point from my ears to my chin, and not straight down as I used to think. I changed my shave accordingly.

And . . . always RE-LATHER.

Never go over a previous pass without re-lathering; mind you I'm so pale skinned I'm waiting for some coloured lather so I can see where I've been!

(An exception to this is blade buffing: a short atg "up-and-down" stroke, being careful not slide from side to side the razor, but simply "scrub" back and forth in a series of short strokes starting at one side and going all the way across to the other side. Do not turn or rinse the razor as the build up of soap on and under the blade helps the lubrication.)

I’ve found that having a one pass shave on Thursday night sets me up for a better shave on Friday night, which is my last shave of the week before Sunday.

I find it also helps in that I have sensitive skin and if I’m suffering with some irritation a one pass shave keeps me looking Fairly clean shaven, without over doing it.

I always do a one pass shave (mach3), except when I think I have missed a small patch or where I am not close enough. I always go against the grain ie up... the exception is under the nose. Never had any problems with burn etc....

Audiolab said:
I never rinse between re-lathering either, that spoils the lather for me. Second pass is easier both from beard reduction and from residual slippy stuff left over.
Audiolab you have made my day. When I first started DE shaving, I read on B&B that one should rinse between passes, however I have always found that the second lather ended with less body and sloppy.

Cheers, Rousey

weekendsonly said:
I always do a one pass shave (mach3), except when I think I have missed a small patch or where I am not close enough. I always go against the grain ie up... the exception is under the nose. Never had any problems with burn etc....

Your'e very lucky...this sort of routine with a cartridge used to kill me and dare I say it's probably why most members are here.

Back
Top Bottom