One-off payment photo editing software

I think you will find Affinity excellent, and at that price it's less than I paid for the very first release. All my photographs are RAW, or RAW+JPEG, and the RAW facilities in Affinity are very good, and I can work directly with RAW files before developing them and then saving them in the Affinity .afphoto format for further editing, and subsequent conversion to JPG, PNG or any one of the other 10 formats offered. Another newer and useful thing in Affinity is a reasonably wide-ranging set of lens profiles.

I have previously used Lightroom and Photoshop, and have tried some others like ON1, but, like yourself, I wanted something non-subscription, non-cloud/online and reasonably priced, but powerful, and fortunately Affinity launched at the time I intended to make the change. Anyway, have fun with your choices.
I always have my camera set to RAW and JPG and looking at the Affinity interface it looks a lot more user-friendly than Gimp and Rawtherapee and certainly less busy on a smaller screen. That suits me down to the ground. I like to capture the photos, bang the Sd card straight into my Macbook Air, review them, edit and save the ones I like most and then back them up onto an external HDD. No internet connection needed.

I always have my camera set to RAW and JPG and looking at the Affinity interface it looks a lot more user-friendly than Gimp and Rawtherapee and certainly less busy on a smaller screen. That suits me down to the ground. I like to capture the photos, bang the Sd card straight into my Macbook Air, review them, edit and save the ones I like most and then back them up onto an external HDD. No internet connection needed.

There's plenty of how to video's on Youtube if you get stuck and for £25 it's a bargain (y)

I have used Skylum products for some years, primarly 'Luminar' which as a stand alone is brilliant. Used to have an Adobe subscription but got fed up paying over £100 per year - and I rarely used 'Photoshop'. That current latest version is 'Luminar 4' which is excellent with a lot of AI now coming in which dratically cuts the time required for great images. They have a serious new version coming out in December, 'Luminar AI' which can be pre-ordered and looks really good. It is worth checking the Skylum site for details. I have tried GIMP which is a great product but a bit too much like 'Photoshop' which I never really got to grips with. It is really a matter of what suits your needs (and budget). Good luck with whatever route you go down.

Hey, you GIMPs! Have you seen Darktable? It's a Lightroom clone, available for Linux, macOS, Windows & more, snap, ports, brew, download ... all manner of installation formats.

I rather prefer Photivo and RawTherapee in general. But I also like DXO PhotoLab. Its Prime noise reduction is very good.

Back
Top Bottom