One More Question Regarding Sycamore for Scales

OK thank you for the earlier replies regarding my first post,
I have got this branch i cut from the sycamore tree which i have now cut into 6 lengths (Roughly) of 15 inch's in length X around 5inch's across, and from my first post was informed that it would need to be Seasoned (or dried out) i presume. SO would anyone know ROUGHLY how long the Seasoning period would likely to be and how would i store them in the seasoning process before i can make a start and get them cut into Scale Blanks, and then into Scales for my Spare Blade's. Hopefully i should get a fair few pairs of scales from the branch.
The Tree is in my Neighbours front garden `but its on the Boundry Line, so am in the process of pruning my half and it seems a shame to throw away or Burn this Wood really, Hence this post any replies would be appreciated.
SYCAMORE .jpg
Thank You.
regards Tony

I'm no expert at this but I'd probably just bring them indoors and leave them somewhere mild but not too hot. Scrape the bark off to avoid bringing any bugs into the house.

Weigh them once a month or so: after a month with no change in weight they're probably ready.

I suspect water will escape from the cut ends more easily than through the sides. Lots of tiny xylem pipes run through the branch from the trunk towards the leaves. Hence it might help to place the pieces on their sides and leave the ends exposed.

Fresh cuts across the big knots might help to open up the ends of more little pipes which lead into the heart of the wood. It sort of makes sense in theory but I don't really know for sure.

I'm no expert at this but I'd probably just bring them indoors and leave them somewhere mild but not too hot. Scrape the bark off to avoid bringing any bugs into the house.

Weigh them once a month or so: after a month with no change in weight they're probably ready.

I suspect water will escape from the cut ends more easily than through the sides. Lots of tiny xylem pipes run through the branch from the trunk towards the leaves. Hence it might help to place the pieces on their sides and leave the ends exposed.

Fresh cuts across the big knots might help to open up the ends of more little pipes which lead into the heart of the wood. It sort of makes sense in theory but I don't really know for sure.
The ends will dry too fast and shrink causing checks (cracks, splits) and leave you with kindling.

Ok Gentlemen
thank you for your replies, very interesting, think i am going to try a these methods as i have 6 large piece's i am going to cut them in half length ways to make 12 then do a couple of the above ways and take it from there.
Thank You once Again
regards tony

You're probably better taking TobyC's advice :) I was thinking how to dry out the wood as fast as possible but it sounds like that's the wrong thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom