One for Gillette connoisseurs

ATG

Supporter
Supporter
I purchased two Gillette Techs on ebay and when I received them I noticed they are very different. Even the build materials seem different as one feels heavier than the other.
Anyone happy to share some thoughts?

Thank you

1.jpg1a.jpg
2.jpg
2a.jpg
3.jpg
3a.jpg
4.jpg
4a.jpg

The Brass one is pretty much the same head as my Post War Ball End Tech and it's one of my favourite razors.

The Zamak one is a good razor but the shave is a touch less smooth than the Ball End Tech.
The zamac head being slightly thicker will make the shaving angle a bit steeper so I would agree with that. (y)
I only have a couple of English made flat bottom techs.

Thank you for your responses. Much appreciated.
Haven't tried any of them just yet but having read this makes me even more curios to see how I'll find the shaves.

Yep, one is a nice post-war "oval hole" brass Tech, the other is a zamak crapper. I prefer the pre-war "triangle slot" brass Tech.

Techs came with brass, aluminum, zamak, Bakelite, plastic, and who knows what parts over the years, if you grab any two from the bay or elsewhere, the chances of them being the same are slim. But they all shave amazingly well. Enjoy my friend. (y)

Yep, one is a nice post-war "oval hole" brass Tech, the other is a zamak crapper. I prefer the pre-war "triangle slot" brass Tech.

Techs came with brass, aluminum, zamak, Bakelite, plastic, and who knows what parts over the years, if you grab any two from the bay or elsewhere, the chances of them being the same are slim. But they all shave amazingly well. Enjoy my friend. (y)

Even though I'm not looking I'd like a Bakelite Tech one day.

I have a 30's Souplex DE razor which is all Bakelite aside from the brass top cap, and it has a short Bakelite handle with a M5 brass screw which I use for a few modern razor heads.

Of course it's not as heavy in the hand as brass but I think Bakelite is an under appreciated material for razors.

Back to Techs, I own a few and the 3 Brass ones I own are all excellent.
For a good mild shaver all the same lines I'd recommend an Old Type as well. With a sharp blade, they are a superb razor for daily shaves. For some reason they seem to get a little overlooked in comparison to Techs but IMO they are excellent razors in their own right whilst sharing something with Techs.

The zamac head being slightly thicker will make the shaving angle a bit steeper so I would agree with that. (y)
I only have a couple of English made flat bottom techs.

I think the later zamak ones shave a tad smoother oft times than the post-war BE Tech. Strange, no? I have also stated that if someone would duplicate exactly the modern zamak Super Gillette Blue/Sterling razor in stainless or brass that it would be perfection. Added durability & weight with a more nimble design. I can surmise this as I own a first year zamak head Travel Tech with a brass baseplate. I think it was only for one year, '63 or '64, and it shaves like a dream.

I think the later zamak ones shave a tad smoother oft times than the post-war BE Tech. Strange, no? I have also stated that if someone would duplicate exactly the modern zamak Super Gillette Blue/Sterling razor in stainless or brass that it would be perfection. Added durability & weight with a more nimble design. I can surmise this as I own a first year zamak head Travel Tech with a brass baseplate. I think it was only for one year, '63 or '64, and it shaves like a dream.
The earliest of the "Gillette" stamped heads had a slightly different font. My '65 and '66 Traveller are of that type and my '70 is of the newer font. Looking at Mr Razor, I think '67 brought in the new font.

I gave the brass tech a try this morning with a personna blade. What can I say....I now understand why so many praise them.

Lovely smooth and efficient shave. I'll keep using this one for another week before switching to the zamak one and then compare the two.

Once again thank you all for all the info provided.

Back
Top Bottom