On a quest to find a well balanced blade

I've used the BICs, and yes they did chew me up. Very sharp, but very rough :cry: . Mind you, I have the same result with the BIC Sensitive and some guys on here swear by them.

I have a couple of hundred BICs lying around (dirt cheap here ) if you want to try, but I won't be home on leave until July ! :x

I wouldn't swap razors every couple of shaves if your experiencing problems. Your irritation if I recall correctly was only on one side of your face or neck and that doesn't sound like a blade issue to me.

As for using AS, WH or both I have no idea what you mean by this.

andyjreid said:
although a high alcohol AS and witch hazel splash didn't provide any cooling sensation there certainly was a lesser period of burn.... if any.

I don't expect any cooling sensation from product unless it contains menthol and when I refer to burn I mean the sensation I get when I apply alcohol. I don't try to subdue that because it is an indicator of how good or bad my shave was, as is an alum application.

Andy, you have had heaps of good advice already & forgive me if this has been said before..

This worked for me when i was in training. I had problems with the neck area & was determined to put it right..... do a north to south pass on the first pass & a south to north pass on the second pass. If you are a three pass man, do another south to north pass on the neck. This will probably not get you BBS, but it should be close to DFS. When you get to the stage where you are irritation free go for an adams apple to ear pass on both sides for the third or final pass. This is only possible for about a blade & a halfs width for me as this is not recommended near the jaw - for me anyways.

I think you will notice the difference in the tech & once you start using it, while tying out new blades try to stick with it. If you feel like a change jump on the HD - leave the futur in the cupboard until you find your way a bit more :shave ;)

This tread seems to have opened a big can of worms.I am fairly new to DE shaving and have been trying to find out that one blade for me. I have found that in my Merkurs (34c & 38c) either shark or if my face is a bit tender (I have to shave daily for work) Derby's. The feathers I use in my Gillette Adjustable so I have control of the blades severity. As for soaps, sticks and creams they work better with different brushes/razor/blade. combinations you just have to find the right one for you
Guess what I am trying to say is you need to find YOUR blade/razor/soap/cream etc combination and this may be a few different ones just don't chop and change too quickly try to get used to the combo you are using 1st, everyone has there own way of doing things, just be patient and you will get there.
As for me I always finnish with an Alum block and asb as I find aftershave leaves my neck looking like a turkey's (very red!!)
Just get your technique right and you will find what works for you and be patient remember everyones face/skin is different........... :D ..............You will get there... :shave

Back
Top Bottom