Omega "Midgets"

I've been building a collection of small animal unfriendly Omega brushes after my first acquisition from Amazon which was the 11047. I was seriously impressed by the balance of softness, backbone and its surprising ability to hold enough lather for a 3-pass shave.

Slide1.JPG

On the back of this purchase I bought the 40033 from Connaught to replace my Wilkinson Sword brush which has given me good service to be fair but, I fancied the change and a Boar brush doesn't exactly break the bank.

The Bambino and the 599 were purchases from Maggard I've just received and I haven't used them as yet.

Unfortunately, after what can't be more than a dozen shaves, the handle on the 40033 has started to crack.

IMG_20210714_152844.jpgIMG_20210714_152904.jpg

It's obvious that the Boar hair is swelling when wet and causing this cracking.

Just to be clear, I'm not aiming anything at Connaught here. I know they're a very reputable Company.

Though I do hang the brush after use, I'm guilty of leaving a boar brush to soak in the wash basin before use rather than just immerse only the knot in a bowl so, this is very much an error on my part. I do prefer a boar brush to any other type and I'll probably just replace it and be more sensible in future.

Saying that, it would be a great excuse to replace it with that very nice Omega jade boar that Connaught stock that looks to have a very sturdy handle, even though it wouldn't exactly match the rest of the midget family.

Is there a medical name for chronic brush acquisition?

It's obvious that the Boar hair is swelling when wet and causing this cracking.

Is there a medical name for chronic brush acquisition?

Yep, it's Brush Acquisition Disorder.

According to a few the Omega Jade Boar is supposed to be exceptional. If you are looking to spend a little less, the Omega made Goodfellas Smile Wild Hog is rated really highly by a few members of this forum including myself. There are a few SOTD posts recently of the brush in use.

I've not used the 40033, but I think the dimensions of the Wild Hog are akin to it being the slightly bigger brother of the 40033. FTR, the Wild Hog is 26mm/56mm.

Here's mine.

Wild Hog .jpg

As for the bristles causing the handles to crack, yes it is has happened to a few of my brushes but it never impacts the brushes performance.

I'd be concerned if it was an expensive badger brush, but with them being cheap utilitarian boar brushes I forget about that and just use them.

I never soak my pigs, I put warm water in a small bowl and put most of the bristles in for a count of three, then on to the puck. I never hang my brushes, they come with a flat bottom for a reason. Gravity plays no part in the drying of a brush, water is wicked into the dryer parts of the bristles and evaporates naturally.

Likewise, my piggies dry their hair off sitting on their butts. My routine for hydrating is to pop it into the basin where it will sit in gradually warming water until the basin is full enough for my pre-shave wash. The brush comes out and sits on the side while I wash my face ... then onto the soap.

I've got a Proraso version of Bambino. It's a very nice little boar, I like how it works. However, mine doesn't hold lather for more than 2 (or rather 1.975) passes. Not a problem really.

I've got a Proraso version of Bambino. It's a very nice little boar, I like how it works. However, mine doesn't hold lather for more than 2 (or rather 1.975) passes. Not a problem really.
I tried the bambino for the first time a couple of days ago. I agree that it won't hold enough lather for a 3-pass but, as you say, it is a very nice little boar. My intention is to only use it for vacations anyway. I have a pretty compact dopp bag and this brush is just perfect for it. I just need to find a small container to store it. I'm sure a suitable pill bottle will come along at some stage for this.

I tried the bambino for the first time a couple of days ago. I agree that it won't hold enough lather for a 3-pass but, as you say, it is a very nice little boar. My intention is to only use it for vacations anyway. I have a pretty compact dopp bag and this brush is just perfect for it. I just need to find a small container to store it. I'm sure a suitable pill bottle will come along at some stage for this.

The La Toja shaving stick container is supposed to be able to fit the Bambino and Mixed Midget, take the soap out, it's a great soap as well.

I also imagine the Boots shaving stick container would hold it as well, but it's lather made my face burn more than anything else I have ever come across!

The La Toja shaving stick container is supposed to be able to fit the Bambino and Mixed Midget, take the soap out, it's a great soap as well.

I also imagine the Boots shaving stick container would hold it as well, but it's lather made my face burn more than anything else I have ever come across!
Good to know. Many thanks for the info.

My Midget is a right prickly little bastard. Do they soften up after a few uses?
So, you have a manly midget! And you've just used it for the first time?

surprised-women-1.png

Back
Top Bottom