Omega frankenbrush

Thought id have a crack at this seeing as im not mad on boar, it's an omega 49 with a tgn 28mm silvertip knot, enjoy. :cool:

p1070062.jpg

Interesting idea Huxley. I am sure there are some Semogue fans out there that are horrified, its like putting boar in a Simpsons handle but it's your brush so why not. Did you change the loft on it from when it was boar filled?

Nope the loft is whatever the respective brushes were i believe it's about 70mm now.

Anyway i'll leave it go for a while so the glue has time to set decently.

Didn't realise the boar bunch might take offence well it's a cheap handle and vintage handles go for silly money to me this made sense.

No buddy I was just having a larf with the boar/badger camps. I think it is a great idea. I have never made one myself but I have an EJ BBB medium that is shedding like a dog but this was my only brush for a long time, it never got to dry out really for my first year of DE shaving and even then it was the primary for a long time after. I was going to throw it out a while back and then thought, one day I should have a go at making a brush just for the experience.

One day I'll get around to it, any tips on getting the old knot out?

Oh right sorry things are easily lost by me incase you haven't already noticed. ;)

Removal, well i obviously cut the hairs back, went to town with a drill but that was a nightmare.

Easiest way for me was a dremel with a tungsten grinding bit and go to town on the thing, bit of wet n dry towards the end and a bit of epoxy, quite straight forward, i got the glue just right just enough so you see it's there, just enough to keep any water ingress away.

Im itching to try it now but im not due a shave until tomorrow so the glue will have time to set decently.

I might start to hone my genco razor tonight we'll see.

Bollocks to the boar bunch.... I've just been out to the garage, deknotted my Omega 49 and persuaded a TGN silvertip in there too... set mine about 1/8" lower than yours though :)

Garage is knee-deep in epoxy shavings from where the 27mm drill bit went in like... oh and boar hair :D

Anyone thinking of doing similar - a swift tug removes the knot assembly from the Omega handle and then it's just a matter of getting the epoxied-in knot out so you can epoxy a new one in :ugeek: (some minor dremelling of the base of the TGN knot and/or the knot collar may be required to persuade it in)

(Badly - in my case) printed on.

As for the usage... well I just had a 3-pass shave and had enough left over to shave all over again, probably twice :lol:

Post bloom it's massive. Also if you read this before you use yours huxley, bit of a honk from the knot on first use (I killed mine by using Omega soap - but it's still not completely dead).

Cheers hunny, i shall be sure to use something suitably pungent from my stable.

Honestly im dying to shave as i've just honed my genco, jesus what an edge that razor holds and the naniwa 5k was a peach to hone with.

I can imagine the bloom would be a bit crazy, it's big enough already. ;)

Back
Top Bottom