Olivia's

i got 3 of these a long time ago and have PIF'd some since and kept one for myself

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.olivia-seife.de/menshaving.htm">http://www.olivia-seife.de/menshaving.htm</a><!-- m -->

i'd like to try the WM versions in the future but for now here's what i think about the clay ones

first off forget about getting mountains of stiff peak'd lather, it doesn't happen.
i've tried various methods and i know it's not me.
(best used with a boar brush, as it's a hard wee soap, and lots of product)
this can lead to a little bit of trepadation when you first use them.
this is where the clay in the soap does it's thing, good lubricity or slip is acheived with these soaps, not amazing or revalation like but better than you'd expect given the lack of lather.
lot's of good scents to suit any nose

they won't replace Tabac/DRH as a must have soap but it was nice to try.
i suspect it might suit a Straight user more as the visibility of your face is good whilst shaving.

i also imagine the WM version to be better and more like the type of product we're used to

i'd like to hear what the people that received these in my PIF's thought, good or bad?

I didn't receive in the your PIF, but I have 2 Olivia's soaps. I have used the Churchill (Patriotic gesture) a few times and have an unused Myrrhe.
They can be hard work and nearly put me off soaps, before I moved to French Shea butter soaps that I love as much as my creams. I will sell or trade the unused one in the future.

Hando very kindly sent me some of this soap when we swapped razors. It is the 'Ambra' variety - Amber to you and me. ;-)

The website tells me that (it's) 'Sensual warm Amber enhances attractivity. (sic) Kisses guaranteed.' :roll:

I think I might take issue with that as I haven't found much of an increase in my attractivity; mind you, I'm married so perhaps it's for the best. :)

As Hando has already said this is a hard soap. Now I tend to lather soap slightly arse about face. That is, instead of adding a little water at a time with a relatively dry brush, I use a fairly wet brush and just whip the cake until the lather goes from frothy to creamy. Normally I use any watery lather as a pre-shave so to speak.

Anyway, I used my Omega on this after soaking both brush and soap in hot water; (just a little for the soap obviously) and started whipping away with the brush. It certainly takes a little more time than with a regular soap however I got a reasonable lather - admittedly using what felt (but doesn't appear to be) a lot of product. I put the soap in a little plastic container and lathered in it before transferring to my face and working in to my stubble.

This lather is slick, very slick. So much so that I was constantly drying my hands to stop the razor from falling out of my hands. I wasn't expecting a great deal of cushioning from this lather however I was fine; no rash or rawness.

The scent is not overpowering and I really quite like it; it reminds me of, and is a nice match with, Joop! Rococo Homme aftershave.

I had a very good shave with this - however the lather does dry quite quickly so no daydreaming between lathering the face and shaving.

The colour of the soap is akin to a 'cola cube' and the lather is the colour of the fizzy head on a glass of coke. It could've just been me; I felt like I as making a bit of a mess of the place using it. Mind you brush was also slipping out of my hand while working up a lather.

All in all, this is a good product and I think it's worth a try. However; if you're not fond of lathering with soaps then you'll not be converted by this one.

Back
Top Bottom