olive Oil based soaps

H soapalchemist, are you Jorunn Hernes, the "kvinne" behind Fitjar (i Noreg -- eller Norge!)? I know she shies away from palm oil for the same reasons you gave. (If so, maybe you could try whale oil LOL)

Anyway, I think we'd be interested in trying some of your soaps; if you make one that lathers as well as Tabac but smells of Norway then I'd like it a lot! My mum is from Bergen so I grew up with the fjords og fjelles and would like a good Norsk soap.

If soapalchemist is nothing to do with Fitjar, I'd still be interested in trying anything you made -- you seem to know your stuff.

What do you make and where can we get it?

Ollie

rangers62 said:
hunnymonster said:
Rev-O said:
(If so, maybe you could try whale oil LOL)

I wondered what a whale oil/tallow based soap would be like...

Would you have to shave with a Gilette Blue?

Sorry, hope no-one takes the hump...back.

Ahem!

Wright! Off to ecomentalists with you....

<takes out his Pentel Pilot pen and writes a note on woven yoghurt paper to Greenpeace>

I wondered what a whale oil/tallow based soap would be like...[/quote]

Would you have to shave with a Gilette Blue?

Sorry, hope no-one takes the hump...back.

Ahem![/quote]

Wright! Off to ecomentalists with you....

<takes out his Pentel Pilot pen and writes a note on woven yoghurt paper to Greenpeace>[/quote]

Sorry, but! If we're talking whale ingredients what about sperm whales then? Price might be a bit stiff and the makers would overprice it. They would see us coming :oops:

Bed.

hunnymonster said:
rangers62 said:
Sorry, but! If we're talking whale ingredients what about sperm whales then? Price might be a bit stiff and the makers would overprice it. They would see us coming :oops:

Bed.

As a 'Gers fan do you get Aftershave Sash? :lol:

I sure do! It is Old Spice and Beautiful.

(Sorry for above joke to our non West Coast of Scotland or Norn Iron brethern. It's a long and somewhat sad tale)

Hi folks,
Sodium olivate is saponified olive oil, sodium palmitate saponified palm etc. You saponify oil (and fat if you want to) by mixing it with a strong alkali such as sodium hydroxide. As lond as you get your quantities right, no SH remains in the finished soap.
What have the whales ever done to you???
No, I'm nothing to do with 'Fitjar'.
Some of the more forward amongst you have suggested that I might like to offer some samples - so please do trample each other in your rush to the Buying and Selling page.
And no, I would not use any kind of soap that came in a blue plastic bowl.....think landfill.
Yes, personal preference is all, and it never ceases to amaze me how varied it is - one man's meat is another man's poison, for sure.

Pig Cat said:
antdad said:
I agree with Zubar, the soaps that contain Olive oil that I have tried are have been crud, building a good lather has been nearly impossible.
It seems that soap makers think that just because an ingredient is either good for you or good to eat then it will make a good shave soap.

I am waiting in anticipation for the Mama Bear Big Mac 'n' Fries shaving soap. It can't be too long in coming!

Is that the follow up to Mama Bears Handguns and ammo soap?

soapalchemist said:
Do you mean that it may be true that most normal bar soaps have olive oil but not shaving soap?

Yes, I've got loads and loads of ingredient lists and commercial recipes of shaving soap and cream and none contains olive oil. In fact most (commercial) shaving soaps are not made by saponifying oils and fats, but by combining individual fatty acids/fatty acid salts. There are a few 'secrets' to a good shaving soap, and if you don't abide by those, the soap will, as has previously been stated here, be 'crud'. All of the 'shaving soap recipes' you'll find out there in the open on the internet yield cruddy shaving soap.

Henk

soapalchemist said:
sodium palmitate saponified palm

Actually no. Sodium palmitate is the sodium salt of palmitic acid (a specific fatty acid found in quantities in palm oil). Saponified palm oil would be, in INCI pig latin, sodium palmate.

I really hate this INCI pig latin. Saponified coconut oil is cocoate. However, they didn't count with cocoa butter being used in cosmetics, so now saponified cocoa butter is something like sodium cocoabutterate...

Henk

Actually I could do both ;-)

The secret to a good shaving soap is potassium and stearic acid, or potassium and (the correct) oils and some polysorbate.

I just took delivery of the jars that I will use to sell my shaving soap, so anyone interested please contact me offline...

Henk

henkverhaar said:
I just took delivery of the jars that I will use to sell my shaving soap, so anyone interested please contact me offline...

Don't be shy Henk, we're happy to have bona fide vendors posting 'for sale' notices here (even better if there's a special offer for us involved :lol:) - so long as it's for shaving-related gear - if you want to sell us body part extensions or keep-it-up cream though we're not interested.

Mmm, not sure I qualify as a bona fide vendor yet, but I DO make shaving brushes for sale (some of which are on <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.winkelplein.nu/barbershopsuply/">http://www.winkelplein.nu/barbershopsuply/</a><!-- m -->) and have been experimenting with shaving soap; the soap has been tested by a few local wetshavers in addition to myself, and I think it is practically ready.

Henk

Back
Top Bottom