old spice

i have fond memories of my dad using old spice aftershave in the 70s, id love to get some but im wondering if todays versions are the same. ive noticed one is 'original' and theres also 'classic'. would i be right in thinking that the classic is the same as the one i remember?

proctor and gamble have messed up old spice like a lot of other things, so neither may remind you off the scent you remember. The old spice produced in India is still apparently made to the original shulton formula

One of the lines as to way they chged the fragrance was that too many women DID remember it and the association that they had to the fragrance was not a positive one. So... Therefore the chg.

The thing is how we remember things smelling, and also as we age our senses change.

I do agree though no doubt the chemicals used change, and the smell changes with the new recipe. Basically though I would imagine the keynotes remain much the same.

The current one is quite different.
However they still make a version in India that is very similar if not identical (it is to my nose) a few vendors on ebay sell it. It comes in original, lime and musk versions as well.
I tend to buy about 3 at a time to make it more worth while.

I think its got quite a high alcohol content in it as it can sting a bit, even more than ogallala! Just like when you nicked your dads when you were younger.

Northam Saint said:
The thing is how we remember things smelling, and also as we age our senses change.

I do agree though no doubt the chemicals used change, and the smell changes with the new recipe. Basically though I would imagine the keynotes remain much the same.

Not to my nose - the Indian one is, there's no other way to say this, spicy - the current Western one is quite sweet in comparison - if you weren't smelling them side-by-side you'd not notice so much.

Re: RE: WINE

antdad said:
If you like your'e grape juice then Tesco online have some great offers at the moment.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tesco.com/wine/">http://www.tesco.com/wine/</a><!-- m -->

I can heartily recommend the

Orso Primitivo
Tesco Finest Nero D'avola
Ricossa Barolo
Tesco Finet St Joseph

if they are still discounted. :roll:

I saw that a while ago a think it's totally bollocks. If you remember your dads old spice try the current one and the Indian version you'd never pick the new one

No idea what happened to the above reply, the quote shown is completely the wrong one bloody tapatalk!

Should have been about the formula not changing.

isaiah53 said:
ive been googling old spice this evening, and apparently proctor and gamble reckon the new old spice 'classic' is the same recipe as the old stuff :huh:

Who at P&G? Unless it's the chemists that hold the formula, it's pure conjecture put out by a customer liaison droid (probably working in a call centre on a contract for rent-a-mouth). I've worked there - very close to the epicentre of Old Spice production...

hunnymonster said:
isaiah53 said:
ive been googling old spice this evening, and apparently proctor and gamble reckon the new old spice 'classic' is the same recipe as the old stuff :huh:

Who at P&G? Unless it's the chemists that hold the formula, it's pure conjecture put out by a customer liaison droid (probably working in a call centre on a contract for rent-a-mouth). I've worked there - very close to the epicentre of Old Spice production...

ive no idea, i get my knowledge from wikipedia :D

i couldnt resist buying a bottle of 'classic' old spice AS today, and to be honest it smells pretty much as i remember it from when my dad used it in the 70s. i think the one marketed as 'original' smells a bit different, but to my nose the 'classic' version is pretty damn close. the plastic bottle however is pretty lame :)

Subtle differences, perhaps but it's basically the same stuff.

After all, who is smelling the 'old' stuff fresh out of the bottle? No-one (obviously) as it hasn't been made for ages, so any of the Shulton's stuff has been laying about for a while.

Same as people banging on about 'vintage' formulations of colognes . . . of course it doesn't smell the same as the new stuff . . . it's not bloody new, that's why.

There. Pick the bones out of that one.

joe mcclaine said:
Same as people banging on about 'vintage' formulations of colognes . . . of course it doesn't smell the same as the new stuff . . . it's not bloody new, that's why.

How long do you think it would take something current to become vintage?

To me, something vintage would be a Chanel from the 40's/50's or even Old Spice from the 50's/60's. Would we class the original release of something that has gone through a reformulation (or many) as vintage even if it is not that old?

In regards to this post though. Try and get some Old Spice from India, whether it smells like new or old I don't know. What I can 100% vouch for though is that the current Indian Old Spice smells better than the current Old Spice available in the UK.

I don't know.

Any idea when that Indian stuff was put into those plastic bottles?

Would the P&G stuff we get now smell differently if it was put into plastic bottles and stored in India . . . where (I've heard) it is quite warm?

Back
Top Bottom