Old Spice PIF

Hiya,

It's occurred to me that some of you haven't had the chance to try some of the vintage Old Spice aftershave or cologne. I may have something that'll interest you if that's the case.

One good thing about hitting estate sales is the sometimes wonderful finds such as aftershaves and EdTs and the like. Heh, I have found some real treasures that aren't ever seen on ebay or anywhere else. Occasionally I'll run into a nice older original version of Old Spice, and I have a couple bottles from various years.

The old juice holds up well in most cases, and a few bottles seem more mellow and refined than others. I can't say how these compare to the newer stuff being made.

I have an ounce or so of some nice aftershave from the 1970s that I'm willing to send out to someone for distribution. I can include the pipettes and up to ten of the 3ml atomizers for decanting (depending on if there's any interest). All someone has to do is fill the decants and mail em out.

No problem if this idea doesn't turn into anything, but figured I'd make the offer. Heh, you guys go ahead and talk amongst yourselves.

Martin

I don't 'buy' the whole vintage vs new scents argument. It rages on over at Basenotes and Badger & Blade.

The only reason OLD Old Spice smells a bit different to NEW Old Spice is because . . . it's, well, it's old isn't it?

If I have a bottle of anything and leave it for 15 years, it is not going to smell the same as something bottled today.

There.

Said it.

hunnymonster said:
It doesn't though Vinny... It smells completely different. The "old" OS lingers, the new is gone in an hour or so.

It's patently obvious that it's not the same stuff in the bottle, just as it's obvious that the Indian formula is not the same as the current formula here.

Yes, but no-one is smelling that old Shulton stuff 'fresh' are they - it's old - there's none being made?

If you leave some of the new P&G locked away for 20 years it will not be the same as it is now.

Or am I missing something?

joe mcclaine said:
Yes, but no-one is smelling that old Shulton stuff 'fresh' are they - it's old - there's none being made?

There is - it's made in India to the Shulton formula - the Indian smells identical to the "vintage" - the current output here smells nothing like...

joe mcclaine said:
If you leave some of the new P&G locked away for 20 years it will not be the same as it is now.

It's in a closed bottle, inert surface, no oxidation, no leakage - it will be near enough the same "as bottled" - just like a bottled whisky will not change appreciably over time, whereas a cask of it will.

Ah well, you lives and learns.

I've (very recently) used bottles of P&G, Shultons and the Indian plastic bottles and they all smelled of Old Spice to me.

joe mcclaine said:
hunnymonster said:
It doesn't though Vinny... It smells completely different. The "old" OS lingers, the new is gone in an hour or so.

It's patently obvious that it's not the same stuff in the bottle, just as it's obvious that the Indian formula is not the same as the current formula here.

Sort of...!

They've banned so many ingredients these days that perfumeurs have had to reformulate some older scents and in addition, there are a lot of 'synthetic' versions of fragrance ingredients that are cheaper to use or can be used in place of the banned ones. It's ridiculous really but there quality just isn't there these days for a lot of scents :(

A scent will go off if it is oxidised, but many of the sealed spray bottles prevent air getting in. Just a case of keeping it out of light and heats' way because obviously it will speed up any oxidisation with whatever is already in there.

Hiya,

Over the years I musta run into 15-20 bottles of Old Spice, dating from the 1950s through the 80s. Lots of times I'll pass on buying the stuff if it doesn't smell quite right, but most vintages have held up pretty darn good. Matter of fact, when I want a real treat I use the canned Old Spice foam from the late 50s. Yep, it's very good, with plenty of slick and excellent cushion(as long as it's used in a thin layer). Crazy thing is the scent of this foam is even a little better than any of the various other Old Spice AS or colognes. First time I tried this stuff I was shocked, since I figured it would be awful or fair at best. Heh, I have maybe 5-6 more shaves left in the small can that was unused when I bought the thing.

I can't tell you why some of these bottles smell different, but some of em just hit my nose about right. The decant I was gonna send is actually from the late 50s to mid 60s, and it's a good one. I have another bottle from that period that I don't care for as much. Some vintage OS smells a little soapy, some have a sharp alcohol scent to em, and some last longer than others. Most are fine though, and still easily wearable.

I have sorta gotten involved with vintage EdTs and the like, and sometimes there's just nothing like the real deal. Reformulations are often not very kind, and some old frags just can't be made with the same ingredients anymore. When sniffing old items like these as estate sales, it's obvious some of the stuff has turned. However, I've found some things still in great condition after many years, even though the bottle may not be sealed.

In any case, there seems to be little interest for this deal to continue. Max, I'll be happy to send you out a sample which you may find amusing. Use the pm feature and we'll get that going.

I guess the main point is not all vintage OS is gonna smell the same. It's really sorta hit or miss, but most times the juice is gonna at least be good and sometimes better than good.

Here's a pic of that set with the canned stuff. I don't care for that particular bottle of AS very much, but love the 'Smooth Shave'...........heh. Matter of fact I was so sure that foam was gonna be lousy I waited over a year before trying it.

Attachments

• old spice set.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 124
Reminds me of...<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/commercials/Awesome_Old_Spice_Commercial/#304280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/comme ... al/#304280</a><!-- m -->

This guys hillarious and is all over US airwaves!..married with kids too..he told the media... :mrgreen:

B

Back
Top Bottom