old Old Spice anyone ?

Went a bit mad today and bought a couple of 'different' looking old spice A/s in a chemists , (they were sitting unloved but not effing cheaply next to the obviously new formula stuff) - i took a punt on them basically . Anyone recognise or know if these are the original formula or not?

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

[attachment=0]
(this was the back of the other bottles box)

Have a bit of a cold so havent bothered smelling them yet .... :D theres one more of them left there if anyone wants it getting in though!

From my understanding, the newer and therefore, not original stuff, is the one made by Proctor and Gamble.
Everything I've read tells me that Shulton is the original. I've ordered some of the stuff made in India from Connaught. Not got it yet though, so can't say what it's like...

Given P&G bought Shultons in about 1990, it's all a long long time ago. However, in the sage words of Sir Tom Jones, it's not unusual for old formula preparations to still be sold in less-developed parts of the world, it's entirely possible that the Indian market is served by the older (cheaper) formula.

Anyway, I just found this snippet from 2001:

CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Procter & Gamble Co. said Thursday it has licensed its Old Spice and Noxema shaving products to Universal Razor Industries of Los Angeles, Calif.

URI will assume responsibility for development and production of those lines in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. P&G will retain rights to the trademarks and will continue to operate and manage the Old Spice
antiperspirant and fragrance products and Noxema's skin cleansing line.

"Our consumers expect high quality products from Old Spice and Noxema and we are confident this agreement will result in further development of our shaving lines,'' said Susan Arnold, president of P&G's global personal
beauty care business

As HM as stated, P&G bought Shulton.

Some people, especially our USAnian cousins seems to spend a lot of time lamenting the disappearance of the old formula produced by Shulton, and if you want to smell like your Dad or Grandad, this is the one you want.

As for the bottle pictured, both Shulton and P&G are mentioned, so really it could be either the old or new formula in that bottle. You'll just have to do a sniff test once your nostrils become clear. I think that there is a good chance that it is the original formula.

Ian

At Christmas my wife bought me my usual Old Spice - but had picked up the Original Sensitive without realising.
It's actually quite good. Essentially its a low alcohol version of the usual bottle [like DR Harris Pink] No sting and tones the skin quite well.

Thanks lads - seems to make sense- went past the same place today and got the last wokingham address one - im very tempted to put it on sale in the CONUK WTT section for an AK47 :D

hunnymonster said:
I should add that the one with the Wokingham address corresponds to Shultons old UK HQ before P&G took them over.
Hunny monster your a star and a mind of information- shall i send you a pringle jumper in thanks ?

Blyth Spirit said:
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ordered some (original & lime) from Paul so sadly I'll pass on it but enjoy it and look after the bottles!

:mrgreen:

:shock: look after as in they break easily? ...as for Mmmmmh << do want a sample when i open it blyth Spirit?

IanM said:
Some people, especially our USAnian cousins seems to spend a lot of time lamenting the disappearance of the old formula produced by Shulton, and if you want to smell like your Dad or Grandad, this is the one you want

Ian

Well i was mainly just hoping it would improve my surfing technique to be honest :)

I live in WOkingham and never realised Shulton used to be here!!

I 'm going to pick up a bottle of Old Spice from Connaughts, this was my Dad's only aftershave so it means a lot to me. Still remember nicking some of his the first time I had a wet shave when I was about 17.
Still remember the pain when it went on as well :eek: :eek:

Andy said:
Blyth Spirit said:
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Ordered some (original & lime) from Paul so sadly I'll pass on it but enjoy it and look after the bottles!

:mrgreen:

:shock: look after as in they break easily? ...as for Mmmmmh << do want a sample when i open it blyth Spirit?

IanM said:
No thanks, I've still got a couple of the glass bottles from (what was) Shultons...it's manufacturing plant used to be local to chez Spirit, at Seaton Delaval, with a factory shop for staff.

The bottles/stoppers are as rare as hens' teeth appararently.

Enjoy!

:)

Oh to be 16 again covered in razor nicks, screaming in pain and smelling of my dads "Old Mice" just before a night out with my mates.............. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom