Oil Cleanse Method

I have been using the OCM for 3 months now. Although it sounds "wrong", it has worked for me. I have been blessed with mostly good skin. It was never dry, but never oily & therefore always felt and looked good to me. I was sceptical about trying the OCM at first but the results speak for themselves, my skin looks and feels better.

My current brew;

1 part cold pressed castor oil
1 part almond oil
4 parts olive oil
A few drops of tea tree essential oil

In the shower i put a small amount of the mixture into my hand and massage it into my face and neck. I leave it on while finishing off the shower. I then put a hot face cloth over my face and wipe off the oil.

There is a small amount left on the face as evidenced by the traces of it on the razor bar. I cannot say whether it improves my shaves or not. The oils do condition the skin, I do not know if they have any affect on the hair. It does not affect my lather at all.

Below is a link with the info that convinced me to try it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/">http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/</a><!-- m -->

I read about this a few months ago interesting to hear that it works.Must be cheaper than buying cleaning products.

I will give it a try.

What is the difference though between this and using pre-shave oil? I think I read somewhere that pre-shave oil is useful for people with a certain type of skin in order to help the shaving soap do its job properly - but I don't think it was to do with cleansing, I think it was more about providing a layer of something for the shaving soap to sit on in order to hold the water on the face. The whole idea being that all you need to shave is water and one of the main purposes of the shave soap was to hold water on the face. I may be talking total crap here ... (been reading too many shave forums probably). Anyway, I do know that many barbers massage pre-shave oil on the face before putting hot towels on the face. So what is this for? Is it completely different to oil cleansing? Can the two be combined?

Yes it most definately is. I use a dribble about the size of a 20p bit. From what i have learned, the castor oil is the most important ingredient, it does the cleaning work & it can be mixed with any household vegetable oil. I used what we have in our house.

Other oils such as almond, jojoba, grapeseed, glycerin, walnut, avocado & sesame ( much better to use it in the wok IMO ) are basically moisturizers & I would say optional. The essential oil is a scent thing.

chicken neck said:
I will give it a try.

What is the difference though between this and using pre-shave oil? I think I read somewhere that pre-shave oil is useful for people with a certain type of skin in order to help the shaving soap do its job properly - but I don't think it was to do with cleansing, I think it was more about providing a layer of something for the shaving soap to sit on in order to hold the water on the face. The whole idea being that all you need to shave is water and one of the main purposes of the shave soap was to hold water on the face. I may be talking total crap here ... (been reading too many shave forums probably). Anyway, I do know that many barbers massage pre-shave oil on the face before putting hot towels on the face. So what is this for? Is it completely different to oil cleansing? Can the two be combined?

I have used shaving oil before & yes you have to put the water to your skin to get a good shave. They work too, but the sink is a mongrel to clean afterwards.

I have never tried a pre shave oil. I do not think what i am doing now is the same as most of the oil is removed with the hot face cloth.

This is basically a face cleaning & moisturizing process.

I used it for a while and thought it was great - my skin felt amazing. it's a little messy though and to be honest I already have some good face washes. I have pretty decent skin anyway so for me it was more about feel than look - if that makes sense.

Yes, the magic is in the Castor Oil.

It's worth trying.

"What is the difference though between this and using pre-shave oil?"

Sorry if this is a wee bit off-topic but I've been trying King of Shaves alpha oil over the past week as a pre-shave 'undercoat' to my cream. FWIW, I think it makes for a smoother, more lubricated shave (a bit more glide), although I'm well aware many think it ineffective. Using hot water (a mild soap) and cream alone makes my face feel somewhat dry while shaving, though perhaps, as a rookie, that's more down to my inexperience of whipping up a slick lather of the perfect consistency.

I have been using G Baldwins & Co's "RICHER MASSAGE OIL BASE".

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.baldwins.co.uk/Base-Oils-And-Accessories/Base-Products/Standard-Base-Products/Baldwins-Richer-Massage-Oil-Base/8470/613">http://www.baldwins.co.uk/Base-Oils-And ... e/8470/613</a><!-- m -->

This is uncented, so you can add your own essentail oils, to make your own pong er odour er smell er sent er fragrance er haze etc.

Hair Shirt said:
I have been using G Baldwins & Co's "RICHER MASSAGE OIL BASE".

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.baldwins.co.uk/Base-Oils-And-Accessories/Base-Products/Standard-Base-Products/Baldwins-Richer-Massage-Oil-Base/8470/613">http://www.baldwins.co.uk/Base-Oils-And ... e/8470/613</a><!-- m -->

This is uncented, so you can add your own essentail oils, to make your own pong er odour er smell er sent er fragrance er haze etc.

That sounds worth a gander.

Naked Ape said:
"What is the difference though between this and using pre-shave oil?"

Sorry if this is a wee bit off-topic but I've been trying King of Shaves alpha oil over the past week as a pre-shave 'undercoat' to my cream. FWIW, I think it makes for a smoother, more lubricated shave (a bit more glide), although I'm well aware many think it ineffective. Using hot water (a mild soap) and cream alone makes my face feel somewhat dry while shaving, though perhaps, as a rookie, that's more down to my inexperience of whipping up a slick lather of the perfect consistency.

The OCM is a cleansing oil primarily

I have used KOS shave oils before & i would say that you could use an OCM brew as a shave oil too. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

fozz77 said:
I have been using the OCM for 3 months now. Although it sounds "wrong", it has worked for me. I have been blessed with mostly good skin. It was never dry, but never oily & therefore always felt and looked good to me. I was sceptical about trying the OCM at first but the results speak for themselves, my skin looks and feels better.

My current brew;

1 part cold pressed castor oil
1 part almond oil
4 parts olive oil
A few drops of tea tree essential oil

That mixture shouldn't be particularly conditioning - it is only oils, which do not readily penetrate, and castor oil, which is a very very weak humectant. If you want to improve this brew start adding some lanolin - or preferably a pure substitute like isopropyl myristate or cetyl palmitate, and some glycerin or lactic acid.

Henk

Henk, are the ingredients readily available and what quantities would be required? Would they affect the cleaning properties in anyway?

Fozz

fozz77 said:
Henk, are the ingredients readily available and what quantities would be required? Would they affect the cleaning properties in anyway?

Fozz

Yes, not much, and no.

Glycerin or lactic acid are water-soluble, so you may need a little emulsifier to add those. In that case you'd be making a balm rather than an oil. I would guess between 1 and 2 % glycerin or lactic acid, To get that to mix with the oils, about 0.25% of say tween-20 should be enough. These are off-the-cuff numbers only, you'd have to experiment a little.

For first experiments, I wouldn't bother with the humectants yet. Start with the isopropyl myristate or the 'synthetic spermaceti' (cetyl palmitate) and see how you like that. 5 to 10% seems a good point to start.

I know there are several suppliers in the States selling this kind of stuff to home and small time soap and cosmetics makers, but I can't give you a recommendation. A very good, knowledgeable supplier (a chemist or similar by training, and like me very sceptical about most claims made by home cosmetics makers about how good natural stuff is, and how bad chemicals (read: cosmetics made by large companies) are) I use in the Netherland is 'de hekserij' (the witch's workshop...), http://hekserij.nl/

Cheers

Henk

Henk
What do you reckon on the 'Oil cleansing' method' I have pretty good skin, but have an oily nose with the result problems with spots, blackheads, can get a bit embarrassing as I'm in my 40's, well in!, and last thing I need is a big red nose, got a blue one though. Speaking to one of your countrymen today, over in Scotland for business / pleasure. He was wearing a Holland cap in orange and blue. Dangerous in the west of Scotland due to religious bigotry.
He was astonished. Sad.

Can't think why it would be better as a cleansing method than a good soap/detergent, or a good solvent, like alcohol. Maybe the oil is better at gently 'drawing out' the skin grease, after which the whole shebang can be removed by quick action of a mild soap (instead of using a more potent degreasing soap and letting it sit on your skin for a prolonged period of time)?

Personally, I rely on water, and sometimes soap, to clean my face.

Henk

Back
Top Bottom