NOS Olympic Special Pioneer Old Type

I received this set today. A NOS Olympic Special Old Type Pioneer. I think it was a special set released for the Paris Olympics in 1924.

The cardboard box was still sealed up and the white leather case inside was wrapped in wax paper and sealed at either end with a wax seal stamped with the Gillette diamond.

Interestingly it says on the front of the box that there should be six blades included but there is only one. There are a few light surface scratches and a small crack in the barrel. There is a "G inside a D" stamped underneath the head (see the last photo), which I think indicates that the razor was repaired so maybe that is why there is only one blade in the box, perhaps the razor is a seconds.

I've got a bit lucky recently (well a lot actually). This was another case of being on the right site at the right time. I was in two minds whether to open it or not, but curiosity got the better of me. Probably knocked 50% of it's value but I needed to see what was in there.

That is a stunning set! I collect malt whiskeys and I have to admit I open and enjoy all of them. Why have them if you don't, and I feel the same about razors!

Yellow Jim said:
I was in two minds whether to open it or not, but curiosity got the better of me. Probably knocked 50% of it's value but I needed to see what was in there.

Hi there,

Now that's some nice pictures of an item with some history. As it turned out, there was some stuff you woulda never known about if you'd left it wrapped. Yeah, seeing that Gillette seal was a kick and I'm glad you made the decison to peek inside. Mighta been someone's go to razor back in the day.

Congrats on the nice addition to your shaving arsenal,

Martin

I have bought one too, from a french seller on ebay. I have opened it and i intend to shave with it.
Mine also have the G inside a D on the head, and only one blade on the box. No cracks on the handle.
It was also sealed at either end with a wax seal stamped with the Gillette diamond.
Pictures of mine: