noob to straight razor, few questions...

They don't have to be too wide. It is a trend started by US shavers I think. For instance, Swedish shavers prefer smaller blades 3/8,4/8,5/8. The average shaver prefers somewhere between 5/8 and 6/8. I like the 6/8 mostly. They have plenty of steel and are a bit heavier than 5/8. I suppose it had to do with machismo... The old adage “bigger is better” thing. For me the bigger blades are cumbersome in the moustache area and under the jawline (especially xtg). You have to try and see which ones you like best. Also the bigger the blade, the higher the price.

@Fergiebilly has an eBay shop https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/billyji1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

and if I decided to take the plunge to try a straight it would be from him, he has a fantastic reputation here.
Billyji1 (Cornwall) is not our @Fergiebilly (Up the road in Bonny Scotland), i have razors from both and although the razors from Billyji1 have a lovely edge @Fergiebilly put a wonderful edge on my new Ti.
Billyji1 is a bit expensive for second hand, save up, get a new "what you want" razor and ask @Fergiebilly to hone it, or ask what he has for sale by PM.

Billyji1 (Cornwall) is not our @Fergiebilly (Up the road in Bonny Scotland), i have razors from both and although the razors from Billyji1 have a lovely edge @Fergiebilly put a wonderful edge on my new Ti.
Billyji1 is a bit expensive for second hand, save up, get a new "what you want" razor and ask @Fergiebilly to hone it, or ask what he has for sale by PM.

Oops, my bad. Thanks for correcting me Tony. Could have sworn Fergiebilly linked to that store, and I assumed it was him, which is the only reason I could think of why I saved it...

oh well. Apologies for the confusion.

I thought the same, they do correspond Rob, and I am sure @Fergiebilly would recommend his edges.
I can say from experience they are very nice. @Fergiebilly put a fantastic edge on my new so called shave ready from T.I.E. Theirs Issard, chalk and cheese when it came back, so smooth, it made the shave easier especially over-the-chin, IMHO, a lot smoother,
I went down this route so I knew what a real edge felt like.
I am now learning to hone my own as I have these edges to compare with.
T

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom