noob questions about shaving sticks

Depends which ...

It used to tallow, but that was a while ago. Then, they put out one based on coconut oil and everyone hated it. Then, they put out another one based on coconut oil and that's pretty good! Then (or maybe in the middle), they put out one based on coconut oil but which also had lanolin ... and that one is nice. I have that one ... and a vintage tallow.

So, yes ... good (enough), assuming you don't have the old reformulation which is unlikely. That Erasmic scent is true to the vintage. Enjoy! Post up the ingredient list and I'll have a stab at guessing which formulation you have.
Here's a pic, says derived from coconut oil, smells nice too

IMG_20211108_185240.jpg

Latest reformulation. Enjoy! Yeah, super scent! Did you get Denim aftershave? Do ... it's a perfect partner.
Thanks...

Nah I didn't see it, how does it smell and
much is it?

When I was at the till the lady did say they had Ted Baker edt and Versace blue jeans for half price today

Denim is a classic woody citrus aftershave and works really well with citrusy shaving soaps. It's a budget splash nowadays and should be easily sourced for under a tenner, if not two for a tenner. Blue Stratos would be another bargain aftershave that would work well - again, citrusy but more marine and almost a light Acqua di Gio.

Denim is a classic woody citrus aftershave and works really well with citrusy shaving soaps. It's a budget splash nowadays and should be easily sourced for under a tenner, if not two for a tenner. Blue Stratos would be another bargain aftershave that would work well - again, citrusy but more marine and almost a light Acqua di Gio.
I do love citrus type of smells and menthol/peppermint too

I tend to use those type of scents as I got some essential oils as I make my own beard pill, balm and butter,
so having essential oils is a must and tbf don't cost much for what you get as they last ages

Not sure off the top of my h ad but was it you who doesn't like shea butter? Remember someone on the forums was saying just don't know who off the top of my head as I love Shea butter, works wonders for the beard

I do love citrus type of smells and menthol/peppermint too

I tend to use those type of scents as I got some essential oils as I make my own beard pill, balm and butter,
so having essential oils is a must and tbf don't cost much for what you get as they last ages

Not sure off the top of my h ad but was it you who doesn't like shea butter? Remember someone on the forums was saying just don't know who off the top of my head as I love Shea butter, works wonders for the beard
Yeah, I have a thing about Shea Butter in shaving soap. I just don't see why ... but I am softening (maybe it's the shea butter LOL) as I do enjoy OSP Soaps, Signature Soaps and Moon Soaps, all of which have shea butter but it's way down the ingredient list. What I like after shaving is a taut feel to my face, tightened predominantly by the soap, and a powdery feel from an alcoholic aftershave. Any hint of a moist feeling is not my thing and I'll usually have a further wash with a known drying soap if I get that post-shave.

If you have some peppermint essential oil, pop a drop into the Erasmic lather. I do like peppermint and hope the trend for sub-Arctic face freezing shaving soaps will give way to a gentler peppermint s a trend. Signature Soaps have a lovely Spearmint & Pepperment (and Anise) shaving soap: Britannia. Gorgeous, fresh scent from the mints and a gentle waft of cool air across the face as you shave. Really lovely!

Yeah, I have a thing about Shea Butter in shaving soap. I just don't see why ... but I am softening (maybe it's the shea butter LOL) as I do enjoy OSP Soaps, Signature Soaps and Moon Soaps, all of which have shea butter but it's way down the ingredient list. What I like after shaving is a taut feel to my face, tightened predominantly by the soap, and a powdery feel from an alcoholic aftershave. Any hint of a moist feeling is not my thing and I'll usually have a further wash with a known drying soap if I get that post-shave.

If you have some peppermint essential oil, pop a drop into the Erasmic lather. I do like peppermint and hope the trend for sub-Arctic face freezing shaving soaps will give way to a gentler peppermint s a trend. Signature Soaps have a lovely Spearmint & Pepperment (and Anise) shaving soap: Britannia. Gorgeous, fresh scent from the mints and a gentle waft of cool air across the face as you shave. Really lovely!
I'm surprised I remembered its you whose not fond of the Shea butter as my memory is awful lol

I don't what it is about the menthol and peppermint scent but it feels very like fresh and revitalizing,
like even if I put on a beard product at night which has a strong menthol type of smell it doesn't put meoff to wake me up, I just generally find it relaxing

@pjgh i really liked the erasmic shaving soap, think anyone who likes that coconut scent will like it, not the strongest scent but nice enough for a couple of quid tbf

so I thought I'd use the palmolive shaving cream today, this stuff is amazing, easy to lather, lovely scent and a lot of lather from not much cream too

defo has to be up there with my favourites like arko,
In fact might actually give arko a run for it's money lool

I wanted to ask how does the palmolive shaving cream compare to the palmolive shaving stick?

haven't used the stick for many years

You may have just undone my pre-emptive declaration of what my shave of today is going to be. I have a Palmolive stick and the cream. Might do a 50:50 just to see.

Mind you I'm not sure what my opinion is worth, I will probably be saying they're both good and YMMV!
I love it, please let us know how it comes out

which razor, blade, preshave etc you planning to use?

Disclaimer. I make no claims to scientific rigour, valid methodology or objectivity. All I can say is nobody is paying me, and anyway both products are from the same brand! This is purely for Saj's edification and in the interest of talking about shaving.

As advertised above, preshave routine was a bath and the judicious application of Nivea post shave balm cool sensitive. I know the clue is in the name but I'm not the only one to think it makes a better pre than post.

Razor is the Koraat 14/2.0 with a keen edge freshly stropped.
The closest I could get to 2 vaguely equivalent brushes was a £10 Men-ü boar and a Haryali "roadkill" badger. I could have used 2 badgers but pitting a Simpsons Best against an ebay mistake would be no better than 2 cheap natural brushes from different materials.

Right side of the face received the Palmolive Classic green shave stick, NOS, fresh out of the box. Applied with the H badger.

Left side got the Palmolive Classic green cream in a tube painted on with the boar.

Scent is much more prominent and fresh with the cream. The stick smells comparatively neutral, almost unscented.

Lather is more creamy and less fluffy with the cream iyswim. The stick gave me a nice mix of glide and cushion with very little effort.

Both have excellent performance for the price. The stick wins for me, despite the cream being easier and having a nice scent. I prefer the more traditional soap lather which I struggled to replicate with the cream. The cream was smooth but I felt it wanted to stick to the razor, which might not happen with DE but is undesirable with a big square point SR.

3 passes, including the Fool's. Enjoyable, an interesting experiment, but the stick edges it for me. YMMV!20211120_112732.jpg

Disclaimer. I make no claims to scientific rigour, valid methodology or objectivity. All I can say is nobody is paying me, and anyway both products are from the same brand! This is purely for Saj's edification and in the interest of talking about shaving.

As advertised above, preshave routine was a bath and the judicious application of Nivea post shave balm cool sensitive. I know the clue is in the name but I'm not the only one to think it makes a better pre than post.

Razor is the Koraat 14/2.0 with a keen edge freshly stropped.
The closest I could get to 2 vaguely equivalent brushes was a £10 Men-ü boar and a Haryali "roadkill" badger. I could have used 2 badgers but pitting a Simpsons Best against an ebay mistake would be no better than 2 cheap natural brushes from different materials.

Right side of the face received the Palmolive Classic green shave stick, NOS, fresh out of the box. Applied with the H badger.

Left side got the Palmolive Classic green cream in a tube painted on with the boar.

Scent is much more prominent and fresh with the cream. The stick smells comparatively neutral, almost unscented.

Lather is more creamy and less fluffy with the cream iyswim. The stick gave me a nice mix of glide and cushion with very little effort.

Both have excellent performance for the price. The stick wins for me, despite the cream being easier and having a nice scent. I prefer the more traditional soap lather which I struggled to replicate with the cream. The cream was smooth but I felt it wanted to stick to the razor, which might not happen with DE but is undesirable with a big square point SR.

3 passes, including the Fool's. Enjoyable, an interesting experiment, but the stick edges it for me. YMMV!View attachment 80339
awesome little experiment, thanks for sharing your experience

shame we can't get the palmolive sticks u less it's nos in the odd pharmacy if you're lucky

the palmolive shaving cream is easily available in places like morrison's etc

maybe next little experiment, Wilkinson sword stick vs Wilkinson sword soap

I've yet to try out the Wilkinson sword soap and stick but i got the black soap and there's a blue one too not sure if it's been discontinued or not

I have read that the wilkinson sword soap isn't liked that much but I did watch a vid from a YouTuber Jim will shave the other day and he said it ain't too bad, so I suppose it will be down to personal preference

so I finally used the made in pakistan shaving cream I got called 'touch me'

not much scent but it's actually a solid performer

Performance wise it kinda reminded me of the palmolive shaving cream, which just used for my previous head shave

Its a small tube but for £2 it's nice to try out a pakistani shaving product

IMG_20211112_133624.jpg

Back
Top Bottom