No dress shoes!

I've been invited to a charity black tie event, but I don't often go to these things and don't have any plain dress shoes.

My shoes are mainly brogues, but I understand brogues and black tie are a no-no. So, which out of the following do people think would be best with black tie? All the shoes are decent quality; Church's or Grensons.

1) Black full brogue Oxfords
2) Black full brogue Derbys in Church's shiny "bookbinder" leather
3) Black chukka boots with no punching, but they do have a Dainite (no leather) sole

I know none of these are ideal, but I don't go to many formal/semiformal do's, so not worth me getting a pair of proper dress shoes.

I would say no to any of the above, purely because of the dress code go and get these for a one off not such a bad looking shoe.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mens-All-leather-Soles-Black-Oxford-Shoes-Size-6-14-/350463788212?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item51994504b4

Jamie

Lose the beard said:
Just a thought, if you don't often go to these sort of events do you have a Dinner Jacket etc already?

You can always hire some shoes at the same time as you are hiring the DJ.

You can get a cheap dinner jacket, trousers and shirt for about £60 from matalan, every man needs one, price according to how much use it will get

Perfect to have if you only need it every blue moon

Cheaper than hiring

You can buy all that you need from none other than Marks and Spencer for a VERY reasonable price.

Whatever you do, my view (as a Court Assistant of one of the City of London's Livery Company) is that in order to be properly dressed you should:

1) Wear a proper Marcella front shirt with a turn down collar. NEVER wear a wing collar with black tie. Wear plain cuff links with a chain between them if possible.
2) Wear a BLACK tie. Not a coloured one. Preferably self-tied.
3) Wear a plain black vest (waistcoat) or a cummerbund to cover the gap betwixt shirt and trouser.
4) if you can, wear patent shoes or George boots but always with silk socks.

If you can't wear the shoes but do the rest then I wouldn't worry!

David

davidb said:
You can buy all that you need from none other than Marks and Spencer for a VERY reasonable price.

Whatever you do, my view (as a Court Assistant of one of the City of London's Livery Company) is that in order to be properly dressed you should:

1) Wear a proper Marcella front shirt with a turn down collar. NEVER wear a wing collar with black tie. Wear plain cuff links with a chain between them if possible.
2) Wear a BLACK tie. Not a coloured one. Preferably self-tied.
3) Wear a plain black vest (waistcoat) or a cummerbund to cover the gap betwixt shirt and trouser.
4) if you can, wear patent shoes or George boots but always with silk socks.

If you can't wear the shoes but do the rest then I wouldn't worry!

David

At last my choice of formal attire has been verified. Chuffed. I do not like non self tie bow ties. It is easy, just takes a very small amount of practice. And, to boot, it is very cool when it is undone and draped round your neck.

Jon

One thing to remember to get is a good cotton Suit Storage Bag. Not only a good way to protect the outfit but also a great way to keep every thing together. Have them for the formal attire and for the Funeral outfit(can't trust the wife or the undertaker to pick out a suit).

In answer to various questions above.

I got a DJ for a knockdown £100 (75% off) at TK Maxx. Obviously not amazing quality for that price, but it looks good enough for something I don't often wear.

davidb - I'm with you on the black tie, however I'm a fan of colourful (some may say gaudy) silk waistcoats. I don't think the dress code is quite as stringent as you would need at a Livery Company.

I've decided to wear my plain black chukka boots, and am currently bull polishing them to a mirror finish. Vs a brogue, I thought this would be the lesser of two evils!

Back
Top Bottom