Nicked blade

I've an AMA straight with a couple of nicks in the blade (right in the edge). Can this be restored by polishing/grinding/honing the edge ? Can it be done in the average house with out a huge equipment outlay ?

It's not of any sentimental value & it's not fo real financial value either, hence my willingness to give it a stab.

(the dings/nicks are quite small & a challenge to photograph adequately)

Photos would really help, but assuming that the nicks really are small and have no hairline cracks running from them, that shouldn't be too difficult (bit of a chore though, potentially). Neil's the best person to answer this one, but I think he's away at the moment. The following will give you an idea of how to go about it:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Honing_a_damaged_blade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/i ... aged_blade</a><!-- m -->

Do you know whether this razor is a vintage one or modern.

I've come across Ama available new online cheaply and there have been suggestions that they are brand name used by Dovo but I can find nothing to back that up.

Unfortunately there are a lot of poor quality razors in production which won't take a proper edge and if it is one of them even if its possible to restore it may not be worth the effort to do so.

I guess the right question to ask is do you know if this razor has been a decent shaver in the past?

I had my wifes grandfathers razor as a total restore..except the blade..which was in tact fine..but everything else needed to be updated cost me $185 USD and took 2 weeks...if the blade has chips in it..it probably needs to be reground so it can be a straight(er) line to use..(vintage blades are about 95% straight..with a slight lean to the left..the new models today are exact straight due to how they are made to how they were made back then :mrgreen:
PM if you need any more help

Blades

Helpful stuff thanks

More details, It's a modern AMA, and used to shave reasonably well. I was planning to salvage the blade more to practise the honing techniques than anything else, on the grounds I can't make it any worse.

Following the Straight razor place article I've breadknifed the blade on the oilstone I use for my garden tools & all the nicks are now out. Next up come the bits that require some actual skill, I'll let you know what happens

Back
Top Bottom