newbie to shaving brushes, need help please

I think this is good news.

Eta, I cannot open the wilkinson sword website to see what they have to say, but I can imagine the brush that I saw in Wilko was old stock and that Wilkinson have moved on from boar to synth..
I did search online can't find the one I saw today

It’s still billed as “Finest Bristle” in the Wilkinson Sword website, although also “sold out” so maybe we are right in the crest of a new wave of synthetics from them.

Certainly the scant few at Sainsbury that I looked through the other evening were all boar.

I’ll keep my eye on this as I fancy one of these. I have two boars with the old logo, one with the metal ring around the base and the other just black plastic. New logo, new knot would be a nice addition to the collection.
Yea regret not grabbing one but I'm sure they'll be all over

This one doesn't have the black coloured band around it like the other Wilkinson sword shaving brushes, it's just similar colour to a boar bristle brush

I miss using the omega boar brush I had,
think it's the stiffness (think you call it backbone) that I really miss, like I don't have that on my synthetics or badger, fair enough I only got the one badger but I think they're known for being softer brushes, correct me if I'm wrong

Really considering get some boars

Which boars are good?

This was the omega one I previously had,
anyone know which omega it is and if they were any good?

Don't remember why I went for that one specifically

Screenshot_2022-07-10-22-11-52-69_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

What's horse hair bristle shaving brushes like? Are they stiff like boars?

Floppy ... and tangle up in use.

I gave up after a handful of shaves as I simply could not be bothered combing them through with a pet brush after every use. I liked the handles, so pulled the knot and reknotted with synthetic.
ive got a horse hair beard brush but its way too soft and dont use it much,
wasnt sure if the shaving brushes would be like that so thought i'd ask

do you use boar brushes? if so which ones would you recommend?
looking at the omega boars online

which brands are up in there in terms of boar brushes would you say?

do you use boar brushes? if so which ones would you recommend?

... as before:

Semogue, Omega & Zenith.

The four Omega 10098s that I've had through my hands have all worked immediately and as expected from the off ... also, the two Semogue 1305s I've had both performed immediately. The higher quality Semogue Owner's Club bristles took some wokring in, but were performing absolutely fantastic after two or three weeks of use.

I'm not a fan of Semogue boar brushes or any others that process/bleach their bristles so much. Generally the whiter the bristle the more they have been bleached, I find they are softer but can be a bit floppy and eat more soap.

If I was you, and a head shaver, I'd lean towards a larger brush.

The Omega 10098 is a good shout and I'd also recommend the following

The new Boti knots are supposed to be excellent as well.

this erasmic shaving brush really confuses me, as you can see on the pics it says 'pure bristle' at the front of the packaging and on the back it says 'synthetic bristles', I mean which one is it? lol

IMG_20220715_140625.jpgIMG_20220715_140641.jpg

this erasmic shaving brush really confuses me, as you can see on the pics it says 'pure bristle' at the front of the packaging and on the back it says 'synthetic bristles', I mean which one is it? lol

View attachment 90598View attachment 90599

Good point.

Although I don't know what the name to describe the working bit of a synthetic brush might be called if it is not bristles.

Eta

apart from horse hair brushes, everything else is bristle, including synthetic.

Last edited:
Good point.

Although I don't know what the name to describe the working bit of a synthetic brush might be called if it is not bristles.

Eta

apart from horse hair brushes, everything else is bristle, including synthetic.
im not clued up with brushes but im pretty sure someone posted on some forum somewhere that if its says fine or pure its generally a boar bristle, i could be wrong but that was my understanding

Back
Top Bottom