newbie to shaving brushes, need help please

Personally I'd not bother with badger knots. I sold all my badger brushes last year and haven't looked back, modern synthetic knots are easier to use and whip up fantastic lathers they're also easier to look after long term.

Here's a few commonly available in the UK synthetic brushes I'd personally recommend that won't break the bank

Phoenix Artisan (The Starcraft brush is one of my favorite brushes):

Simpson Trafalgar T2:

The Yaqi synthetics are decent given how cheap they are so they're a pretty safe bet as well.
The cheapest Paa brush is £26, and the link to the T2 doesn't work perhaps because it's sold out.
I've moved from badger hair to synthetic. I use the Simpson Simfix which costs £15, and I'm really happy with it.

Mostly Yaqi and few other brands

Sorry for late reply

Which Yaqi synths do you have? There's a bit variation in them.

I've bought a few new Yaqis recently. The Cashmere knot has almost no backbone, it's a floppy mop of a brush but it is a tiny bit like a well worn boar brush.

I've got a few G4 Yaqis, they have a lot more backbone but a bit springy, if you try to splay it, it wants to spring back into shape. My Yaqi cashmere and G4's are tiny (21mm) but they work beautifully and I wouldn't recommend them to you but I'd say go for their bigger brothers or the ApShaveCo ones. ApShave's bigger Cashmeres are supposed to be excellent.

If you want a synth that has backbone like a boar, I'd either give a go to some of the new generation of synths. They are a bit more difficult to splay but have more backbone.

Reactions: saj
Which Yaqi synths do you have? There's a bit variation in them.

I've bought a few new Yaqis recently. The Cashmere knot has almost no backbone, it's a floppy mop of a brush but it is a tiny bit like a well worn boar brush.

I've got a few G4 Yaqis, they have a lot more backbone but a bit springy, if you try to splay it, it wants to spring back into shape. My Yaqi cashmere and G4's are tiny (21mm) but they work beautifully and I wouldn't recommend them to you but I'd say go for their bigger brothers or the ApShaveCo ones. ApShave's bigger Cashmeres are supposed to be excellent.

If you want a synth that has backbone like a boar, I'd either give a go to some of the new generation of synths. They are a bit more difficult to splay but have more backbone.
tbh i dont know the names of them speicifically but will try to take a pic,
about 4 or 5 i got i think off the top of my head

hey quick question can you gt stiff synthetic brushes which are more like boar brushes by chance?
Yeah. AP Shave Co.'s G5, or their UHD Titanium knots, for synthetics.

Alternatively, in the Badger world, Shavemac D01 is considered the stiffest brush around... With a stiff price to match. It's my daily driver, so the cost per shave over the years isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. As I recall, the break-in time was measured in months rather than days.

Back
Top Bottom