newbie to shaving brushes, need help please

use this for the first time the hawkins and brimble shaving brush,
might actually be of my best shaving brushes, not that i spend a lot of shaving brushes lool

Synthetic-Shaving-Brush_grande.jpg

Treat yourself my boy, treat yourself :cool::

Thread 'Yaqi Moka 2 Band Badger - £13' https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/yaqi-moka-2-band-badger-13.56337/
thanks mate but i dont think ill be getting any badger brushes even though i got one in a set ages ago,
i was asking the question about badger brushes because i wanted to understand the difference between the pure badger and silver tip and whether the price difference is worth it or not

anyways @Boycie83 shame or else i wouldve snapped that up

thanks mate but i dont think ill be getting any badger brushes even though i got one in a set ages ago,
i was asking the question about badger brushes because i wanted to understand the difference between the pure badger and silver tip and whether the price difference is worth it or not

anyways @Boycie83 shame or else i wouldve snapped that up
No problem chap.

Wrt badger hair, this gives a good overview (albeit Shavemac centric):

no way seriously? i read on the back of the erasmic brush it actually said synthetic fibres, so i thought it was a safe buy tbh

in regards to the wilkinson sword it didnt say anything about being boar hair bristle it just said finest bristles or something like that off the top of my head, suirely they should make it clear for the consumer, well thats what i wouldve thought they wouldve done...

looks like ill have to PIF the erasmic and wilkinson sword brushes lol :LOL:
Wilkinson Sword brushes are definitely synthetic, I've had one for around 12 years, highly unlikely in that period they've gone from synthetic to boar.

I saw one this morning and it was described on the packaging as soft bristle which I took to mean ex-boar. They are also for sale on Amazon and the care instructions are what you would give for boar.

I saw good old Haryali advertising a brush on ebay that they said was "white badger"! Priced under a tenner. If that's real badger I'll have a couple of rashers with my breakfast! I have a brush from them that is genuinely badger hair but it's way scratchier than any boar, must be from badger buttocks I swear. Avoid anything from H.

Looking through this thread I saw that our OP had found and used a brush he loved. I would have said to him: "great, be happy and move on and save yourself a lot of money" Too late! I hope he now enjoys the journey.

@Rockall66 @Boycie83 @Mike Smart @De 2 @hotmetal so saw the Wilkinson sword shaving brush in morrisons today and i thought let me double check as this one I noticed had 'Wilkinson sword barber style shaving brush' on the front of it and it actually said on the back non animal hair fibres

I did get one before which had 'pure bristle' on the packaging and dashed it as I couldn't use it, anyways all the ones I've seen since have said pure bristle today was the first one I seen that specifically says non animal hair, was wondering you lot know if this is a new product?

Sorry forgot to take a quick picture and was like £4

I think this is good news.

Eta, I cannot open the wilkinson sword website to see what they have to say, but I can imagine the brush that I saw in Wilko was old stock and that Wilkinson have moved on from boar to synth..

Last edited:
Yeah probably Saj, I don't know but with it probably being cheaper to go with synthetic, quite apart from the religious, ethical and vegan aspects of who they hope to sell to, or would not surprise me at all if they have moved from bristle (boar) to synthetic.

I believe boar hair is harvested without harm to the boar (unless it doesn't like being shaved) whereas I'm fairly sure badgers are killed for their hair. I own and use badger and boar as well as synthetic, but would not purchase a new badger knot now. Not saying nobody should, but I probably won't. I did buy a boar brush recently, but I do realise why you would not. It makes sense for mainstream brands not to produce relatively cheap low margin items that then exclude a large number of potential customers on religious or ethical grounds, so I'll bet they're only making cheap synthetic ones now.

Last edited:
It’s still billed as “Finest Bristle” in the Wilkinson Sword website, although also “sold out” so maybe we are right in the crest of a new wave of synthetics from them.

Certainly the scant few at Sainsbury that I looked through the other evening were all boar.

I’ll keep my eye on this as I fancy one of these. I have two boars with the old logo, one with the metal ring around the base and the other just black plastic. New logo, new knot would be a nice addition to the collection.

Yeah probably Saj, I don't know but with it probably being cheaper to go with synthetic, quite apart from the religious, ethical and vegan aspects of who they hope to sell to, or would not surprise me at all if they have moved from bristle (boar) to synthetic.

I believe boar hair is harvested without harm to the boar (unless it doesn't like being shaved) whereas I'm fairly sure badgers are killed for their hair. I own and use badger and boar as well as synthetic, but would not purchase a new badger knot now. Not saying nobody should, but I probably won't. I did buy a boar brush recently, but I do realise why you would not. It makes sense for mainstream brands not to produce relatively cheap low margin items that then exclude a large number of potential customers on religious or ethical grounds, so I'll bet they're only making cheap synthetic ones now.
Yea companies are looking for ways to profit as much as possible so yea seems like the smart move to make, I got no idea how much brushes cost to manufacture but I'd assume synthetic would be cheaper or am I wrong? Lol

Back
Top Bottom