Newbie ex beardo

Thank you all for your welcome . Currently comparing and contrasting muhle 89 vs Mercur 34 . A lot to think about !
Hello there..
Both the Muhle r89 & Merkur 34c are wonderful razors which will give you acceptable smooth shave's...The muhle 89r along with the Merkur 34c where the first razors i purchased when i first entered the wonderful world of wet shaving..My personal choice is the Muhle 89r, which is one of my favourite DE razors. :love:

My humble advice I can give is, give it a honest try.... See what works for you, and don't worry too much about anyone else's opinion. Nobody is standing on the other side of the mirror making biased judgements. The face you're shaving is your own, and you don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself. The wonderful thing about traditional wet shaving for me is that there are so many good products out there and there literally is something for just about everyone....The vast majority of my shave set ups are inexpensive, which work perfectly for me. First and foremost 'ADD NO PRESSURE TO THE RAZOR,LET THE WEIGHT OF THE RAZOR & BLADE DO THE WORK,YOU JUST GUIDE IT OVER YOUR STUBBLE. Equally important is to practice your technique, this is the secret to traditional wet shaving, by doing this you will gain your shaving confidence...."I taught myself to shave the lather from my ugly face, rather than the stubble"....This will help to reduce irritation. Get yourself a sample pack of DE blades to find which is best suited to your skin type...Last but not least try doing one WTG (with the grain ) pass at first until your skin gets accustomed to this way of shaving. Enjoy your new shaving experience.

Yours-Barry. (y)

Last edited:
The Merkur 985C was my first DE. It's very mild and easy to use. You'd have to try quite hard to cut yourself with this one. I think the head design is a copy of an vintage model, the Gillette Old Type. All the Merkur open combs, like the 15C, use the same head.

The open comb makes it very versatile if you need to shave longer hair like a week-old beard. I still use this regularly, mostly for head-shaving since I discovered straights.

The Fatip Piccolo is also a nice razor. Not expensive. A bit more aggressive but still not difficult to use, IMO.

Thank you for the advice . Will look into these ! Just qas thinking what's the best way to dispose of old blades ?

Thanks
Martin
Welcome Martin.
I use a Lidl "Complimints" tin with the flip-top lid. Reckon I can get about 150 blades in it and then just recycle the whole package!
There's a thread called "Show us your blade banks".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom