New YaQi 50mm

I'll preface this with a health warning!!!

AC blades are seethingly sharp and it is VERY easy to cut yourself really quite badly with a FEATHER AC razor while learning. I'd say the experience on balance is more dangerous for a newcomer than traditional straight edge shaving.

That said, yes, I think the format is ideally suited to head shaving and styling. It is a professional product (in other words, a Barber razor) and I think that is indeed exactly what it is designed for.

The blades are single edge. There used to be a good few other formats on the market - proprietary blades in single and double edge. I'm thinking of the old Dovo and BurMax formats. They were thinner, more flexible blades though, but also fitted into straight edge type razors. Compared to injector blades, I'd say they're a LOT sharper. Seriously, Saj, they're surgically sharp and the potential for serious damage is right there.

Perhaps a new thread about the suitability of the FEATHER AC system for your purposes? Hopefully, attract other head shavers to gauge their experiences.
thanks for the info, yea i'll create a thread

p.s sorry for derailing thread

The comparison of Yaqi Excalibur (E) and Blackland Vector (V).

se_due10.jpg

As you can see, the heads are quite different in size and geometry (the Chinese one is on the right).
E holds the blade almost perpendicular to the axis of the razor, while the blade is less covered by the cap than on V.
However, the American razor has a much shorter safety bar.
As a result, these razors require different angles for efficient operation.

I use Yaqi with a Chinese titanium handle exclusively.
Accordingly, the weight of E with this handle (without blade and washer) is 56 g, head only - 18 g
The weight of V is 76 g, head only - 17 g

The geometry of the V handle is less intuitive than the usual 'Super Knurl' replica of my E, but you get used to it quickly.
Plus, it encourages you to hold the razor more "correctly": closer to the tip.
The balance of the razors is therefore quite opposite.
E is balanced towards the head (the stock aluminum handle intensifies this even further).
V is balanced clearly to the bottom of the cone-shaped handle.

An important difference between these razors is the ease of loading.
Here V is definitely ahead of E. The blade easily and clearly falls into place.
With my E I need to tinker to insert the blade properly. Moreover, the blade may be clamped even only in one position, on one particular side.

I believe the quality of workmanship should not even be compared.

The main thing is how these razors shave.

Tested them with fresh Schick Proline blades.
As it is already clear, the razors feel differently in the hand, they need different approaches and angles of attack.
But frankly, these blade holders shave rather similarly.

The blade feel is more pronounced on E. I can't say whether it provides higher efficiency though.
Due to the balance of the razors, V flies a little easier over the skin.
I emphasize that the differences are minimal.
Both razors shave very well: smooth and close. Very comfortable and "fast".

sotd_142.jpg

And yes, Yaqi razor became my "entry drug" to Blackland. I've sold my Hawk v.3 set and purchased Vector because I liked such geometry immensely more.
Awesome review!! Absolutely enjoyed your comparison between the 2. Much thanks!

se_due10.jpg

As you can see, the heads are quite different in size and geometry (the Chinese one is on the right).
E holds the blade almost perpendicular to the axis of the razor, while the blade is less covered by the cap than on V.

Accordingly, the weight of E with this handle (without blade and washer) is 56 g, head only - 18 g

The geometry of the V handle is less intuitive than the usual 'Super Knurl' replica of my E, but you get used to it quickly.
E is balanced towards the head (the stock aluminum handle intensifies this even further).

With my E I need to tinker to insert the blade properly. Moreover, the blade may be clamped even only in one position, on one particular side.

As it is already clear, the razors feel differently in the hand, they need different approaches and angles of attack.

The blade feel is more pronounced on E. I can't say whether it provides higher efficiency though.

sotd_142.jpg

And yes, Yaqi razor became my "entry drug" to Blackland. I've sold my Hawk v.3 set and purchased Vector because I liked such geometry immensely more.
Great review! Thanks @vates

se_due10.jpg

sotd_142.jpg

A really good report - highlighting the differences between the Yaqi & Vector.

As some may know...I have pre ordered the Yaqi V3 Raster from The Shaving company in Australia.

I received an update email from them yesterday which included:

Yesterday YAQI informed me that the top plate of the new head was not as perfect as they wanted. They have asked me not to sell the ones that are being delivered next week. Instead they are remaking the head and sending new heads ASAP. Naturally this will delay your order.

Firstly, my apologies for this inconvenience. Should you wish not to wait we will refund your order in full, no questions asked.

Secondly, I'm happy that YAQI is taking responsibility for a higher level of quality testing and making these decisions themselves. It's a positive sign for the future.

NB: The first head still shaves, but YAQI were not happy with the amount of blade exposure. I will send this original head (top plate) for FREE along with the new top plate.
That way you'll have both and you can choose which shave you prefer.

As some may know...I have pre ordered the Yaqi V3 Raster from The Shaving company in Australia.

I received an update email from them yesterday which included:

Yesterday YAQI informed me that the top plate of the new head was not as perfect as they wanted. They have asked me not to sell the ones that are being delivered next week. Instead they are remaking the head and sending new heads ASAP. Naturally this will delay your order.

Firstly, my apologies for this inconvenience. Should you wish not to wait we will refund your order in full, no questions asked.

Secondly, I'm happy that YAQI is taking responsibility for a higher level of quality testing and making these decisions themselves. It's a positive sign for the future.

NB: The first head still shaves, but YAQI were not happy with the amount of blade exposure. I will send this original head (top plate) for FREE along with the new top plate.
That way you'll have both and you can choose which shave you prefer.
The head is now that much larger , so the handle mounting post no longer passes through the blade. Hopefully this means the post is now a standard size.

Last edited:
Latest on Yaqi revised model - reverting to old method of fixing handle on 1/2 screw post + tweaking head design.
Apparently thought larger head would put folk off.
That is a great shame!

V3 fixed all the issues of that inherent design problem by doing the obvious: two plates to hold a rigid blade at the correct angle and stick a post behind it. The handle is no longer too close to the front guard and that slight bit of thread either side of the post no longer the most prone point of failure of the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom