New YaQi 50mm

Matte head arrived a couple of days ago. Must have come by air rather than by sea - a little over a week since ordering.

So far I've had a couple of shaves using a Schick Proline. Or rather 1.5: it's so bad I couldn't even finish the second try tonight. It feels rough, a little tuggy, and it doesn't cut very close. I find I have to buff repeatedly to clear a spot.

Halfway through I gave up and picked up my Merkur 985 (the open comb travel razor). It was whole a different league of smoothness and efficiency. No repeated buffing: just long smooth strokes.

Might have a go at grinding down the front lip of the baseplate to expose more of the blade. Out of the box, it's the kind of razor that makes you want to grow a beard.

Proof that visiting pages of the forum, other than Shave of the Day are injurious to one's wealth. Not that I've found anything at all wrong with my Yaki Raster v2 but I now have a v3 on the way from Australia. :cool:

As others have said, the Raster is a great razor, and I have found it to be exceptionally smooth and a far better shaver than "the original" which I sold, as I found it as rough as a badger's rough bits.

Matte head arrived a couple of days ago. Must have come by air rather than by sea - a little over a week since ordering.

So far I've had a couple of shaves using a Schick Proline. Or rather 1.5: it's so bad I couldn't even finish the second try tonight. It feels rough, a little tuggy, and it doesn't cut very close. I find I have to buff repeatedly to clear a spot.

Halfway through I gave up and picked up my Merkur 985 (the open comb travel razor). It was whole a different league of smoothness and efficiency. No repeated buffing: just long smooth strokes.

Might have a go at grinding down the front lip of the baseplate to expose more of the blade. Out of the box, it's the kind of razor that makes you want to grow a beard.
I have the V1 and the V2 ... I'll assume you've now got the V3? From China? Either way, if the comb/guard is getting in the way, try setting the angle much more cap-focussed with the handle sticking out/up more. I found both V1 and V2 were dramatically improved by setting the angle from the cap rather than the comb. The angle is tight but it can be found. Given the severely narrow profile, it's akin to issues shaving with a 3/8 straight razor - easier get the angle bob-on with a 6/8, for example.

Not sure which version I've got. Bought from Aliexpress.

I'm kind of puzzled because most people like the shaves they get from this little razor.

Will try again with a fresh blade.

Although I've not used the razor personally it's surprising to hear that as I've read good things about this razor especially for the cost of it

Not sure which version I've got. Bought from Aliexpress.

I'm kind of puzzled because most people like the shaves they get from this little razor.

Will try again with a fresh blade.
Some days, you just get a bad shave ... go back to a certain combination a year later and it's bliss, leaving you wondering quite literally "what the ..." :D

If it's just arrived (as in recently ordered) it's most likely the V3. I've yet to try the latest version myself. I believe the version increment was down to retooling the way that the post and nubs were aligned as a constant criticism of the previous models was with misalignment of those aligning parts leaving the blade on the skew. I got lucky as my V2 and later purchased V1 were absolutely fine.

... but yes, it's got a slim angle and while it doesn't need to be bob-on, once you find it the shave is dramatically improved!

Glad to report it was the blade not the razor :)

Tried again using an old blade previously in my Feather SS clone with maybe 20 shaves on it. This time the Yaqi shaved very well. The width of the AC blades is lovely on the "flat" sides of the face - covers a lot of ground. Even with the old blade this feels like a nice razor. I'd need to try it out for a bit with a fresh blade to do a proper review.

Note that the shape of the head means you can't put it down on its side like a normal DE. It will fall over. You have to put it down on its "back" instead.

It fell over a couple of times as I was figuring this out and maybe this explains the rough shaves. Might have damaged the blade edge.

Full credit to Blackland for coming up with the ultra-slim head design. It's a winner. Maybe one day I'll get to try the real Vector.

Last edited:
Top Bottom