New YaQi 50mm

Matte head arrived a couple of days ago. Must have come by air rather than by sea - a little over a week since ordering.

So far I've had a couple of shaves using a Schick Proline. Or rather 1.5: it's so bad I couldn't even finish the second try tonight. It feels rough, a little tuggy, and it doesn't cut very close. I find I have to buff repeatedly to clear a spot.

Halfway through I gave up and picked up my Merkur 985 (the open comb travel razor). It was whole a different league of smoothness and efficiency. No repeated buffing: just long smooth strokes.

Might have a go at grinding down the front lip of the baseplate to expose more of the blade. Out of the box, it's the kind of razor that makes you want to grow a beard.
Although I've not used the razor personally it's surprising to hear that as I've read good things about this razor especially for the cost of it

Not sure which version I've got. Bought from Aliexpress.

I'm kind of puzzled because most people like the shaves they get from this little razor.

Will try again with a fresh blade.
Some days, you just get a bad shave ... go back to a certain combination a year later and it's bliss, leaving you wondering quite literally "what the ..." :D

If it's just arrived (as in recently ordered) it's most likely the V3. I've yet to try the latest version myself. I believe the version increment was down to retooling the way that the post and nubs were aligned as a constant criticism of the previous models was with misalignment of those aligning parts leaving the blade on the skew. I got lucky as my V2 and later purchased V1 were absolutely fine.

... but yes, it's got a slim angle and while it doesn't need to be bob-on, once you find it the shave is dramatically improved!

Glad to report it was the blade not the razor :)

Tried again using an old blade previously in my Feather SS clone with maybe 20 shaves on it. This time the Yaqi shaved very well. The width of the AC blades is lovely on the "flat" sides of the face - covers a lot of ground. Even with the old blade this feels like a nice razor. I'd need to try it out for a bit with a fresh blade to do a proper review.

Note that the shape of the head means you can't put it down on its side like a normal DE. It will fall over. You have to put it down on its "back" instead.

It fell over a couple of times as I was figuring this out and maybe this explains the rough shaves. Might have damaged the blade edge.

Full credit to Blackland for coming up with the ultra-slim head design. It's a winner. Maybe one day I'll get to try the real Vector.

Last edited:
I bought a new head from Aliexpress. I presume its a 'Mk3'. The good news is that the fit and finish is greatly improved but I just can't seem to get a good shave. The shave angle is very narrow and, once found, results in an ultra-mild shave requiring much scrapping (new Kamisori blade). My Mk1 from the Boycie emporium delivers a much better shave despite the top cap misalignment.

Shame really. But at 6 quid I won't worry too much.

Still evaluating mine but it feels significantly more efficient than my Merkur open-comb (negative blade exposure). Had a great 2-pass shave last night which came awfully close to BBS. I'm using Schick Proline (let me know if you'd like to try one). Unlike you I felt that I had a bit of range to play with between riding the cap and a more aggressive angle. Maybe it's because I'm used to shaving with an ultra-mild razor.

I think Feather Super are the widest of all the AC blades. One of these should up the aggression a bit.

First impression is that skin-stretching helps with this razor (the usual straight-razor techniques). Maybe because it's wider it pulls the skin out of shape more. That will also depends on how loose your skin is.

I've got a good selection of AC blades, but thanks for the offer. I'll try a proline. I've always avoided the Feather Super after an early major haemorrhage issue but maybe this Razor warrants another go.

Edit: - Swapped in a Proline blade this morning and got a nice shave. I bought Kamisoris originally to tame more aggressive SE razors but they just aren't sharp enough for the new Yaqi head. I think this could still warrant a Feather Super though, as the head is still very mild.

Last edited:
Does anyone else think this razor works particularly well against the grain? I find I can go straight to ATG on the 2nd pass to get a near-BBS shave (just needs some touch ups).

In theory the thicker blade should be less prone to chatter ATG. Or maybe I've just convinced myself it's better because that's what I expected to happen. What do you think?

Alright, the current (v.3) version in chrome boasts better cosmetic quality (comparing to v.1), the outer contours are clearer, less chrome is waisted.
However, the blade installation process became even trickier. It is very difficult to align. I've found a somewhat in-between position, hoping to avoid excessive injuries.
First shave today and in my opinion, the quality of shaving has not changed since the first version. Quite effective and informative, without unpleasant roughness. BBS in 2.5 passes.

An interesting fact: Schick Proline blades work better in Yaqi whereas Blackland Vector fancies Feather Pro blades. Go figure.

SOTD picture here.

Interesting ... thanks @vates.

I have a confirmed V1 and V2, hence my question above as to what the material differences are versus the V2. Initially, the V3 was to get a round post further back, akin to the Hawk rather than going through the blade itself. Personally, I see the post going through the blade as a design answer to a question that nobody asked and it leads to the head being overly slim - consider the issues when shaving with a 4/8 or 3/8 straight and why 6/8 or above is preferred.

Anyway, so the V3 is markedly better than the V1. Ironically, the V3 (once they'd dropped the notion of moving the central post) was supposed to be bob-on in terms of alignment, where the V1 certainly had some serious alignment issues, less so the V2.

Maybe they just made another run of the V2 once they'd dropped the revised V3 ...

Quite probably.
It looks like a cleaner iteration of the first run.
They used less chrome sugaring and probably that's what causes alignment problems: the posts are more streamlined and don't hold the blade and the top cap in place.

Now that is interesting ...

I am going to presume that there must be some material differences between the blades, then. I only have Feather in, so can't check. I also have a V1 and V2, the latter of which holds a blade and top cap with absolutely no movement. Put a blade between the cap and plate, and without the handle in place put it between finger and thumb, wiggle, jiggle ... nope, no movement.

Certainly, the V2 is a improvement on the V1 ... so stands to reason the V3 will look like an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom