New 'Vintage' Prototype

As mentioned in a previous post, I've been planning on making the wife a brush for a little while now and after seeing all those lovely vintage brushes on B&B I thought I'd have a go at making a long handled vintage style brush. Here it is, in two-tone teak with a 24mm Silvertip:

4777154324_e19608c9e9_z.jpg

4776522123_f0398e4ed9_z.jpg

She hasn't seen it yet so might hate the style or finish, but this one is ready to take a 24mm knot. As I've got her a 22mm Knot this one might well be heading over to BST at some point.

What do you all think?

Chris

Chris,

Exquisite brush! I hope she enjoys it as much as you turned it my friend. I like how you set the loft. It doesn't seem too high or low. It's just right.

Thanks Ivan, loft height on this is exactly 55mm - that seems to be perfect on golden nib silvertip knots as they bloom wonderfully with that setting.

ooo cocobolo... the final version is either going to be cocobolo or maybe some other dark hardwood.

Here's the finished priest too:

4777891430_8a6423b398_z.jpg

Goncalo Alves with a lead insert and a plug made of oak.

This one is for a gift - I'm having trouble explaining to the wife that it's not just a tool for killing things (she doesn't like the idea).... because it basically is!

Chris,

Do you have particular finish you fancy? Ones I have were finished in Danish oil. Some people use Tung but I don't know the difference.

neocaligatio said:
This one is for a gift - I'm having trouble explaining to the wife that it's not just a tool for killing things (she doesn't like the idea).... because it basically is!

Sorry would you kindly explain what "priest" is besides someone who performs religious rites and sacrificial offerings? Thanks

On that handle I used danish oil - Henk is the guru on all things oil, but it's a finishing oil that contains tung oil as well as other things.

...and a priest is a tool used by fishermen or small game hunters to humanely kill their prey. You give a sharp knock to the head with the tool.

SiR-ed8 said:
Sorry would you kindly explain what "priest" is besides someone who performs religious rites and sacrificial offerings? Thanks

From Wiki -> A priest is a tool, often resembling a blunt weapon, used for quickly killing fish. Priests usually come in the form of a heavy metal head attached to a metal or wooden stick. The name "priest" comes from the notion of administering the "last rites" to the fish.

Ahh, I love the old style handles. It´s a very nice brush! I can really second the remark on Henk, he really knows what he´s doing, I love the finish on his olive handle brush I got :D And I´m very happy with your brush too, perfect size for me and perfect for face lathering, well it wipes up lather like a champ in the bowl too :D

Back
Top Bottom