New UK Razor Re-plater

Hello all,

As the title says, I have discovered a new, UK based chap that replates razors. He’s not just a plating service but a razor enthusiast who has his own YouTube channel, Facebook group and Instagram page. He also hones restores straight razors but I’m not pushing this service as we have gents on here that can do that for you. I will take one for the team and report back.

His name is John June of JJ Shaves which is also his popular Facebook group. I found found him via another very popular Facebook group, Vintage Gillette Safety Razors where he’d shown before and after pictures of his work which came with great feedback.

CF88019C-2127-482A-BC5D-F1D1C11D4AFE.jpeg

56EFA10E-786C-4190-9EEC-09669211F628.jpeg

2235F0C8-26D6-4F06-AA5E-38053977AAC0.jpeg

F32C2BF0-DAE3-4E62-8810-5534645DA183.jpeg

Now the very interesting part, prices below.

Nickel only at the moment:

Fatboy, Slim, TTOs: £25 which includes careful fettling to ensure it adjusts properly, stiff mechanisms loosened, no lazy doors and repainting of numbers, etc.

2 & 3 piece (Tech, NEW, OLD, etc): £15

Add on £5 for postage and that’s it.

He seems a really genuine fellow and happy for me to send off my razors now then pay for them once complete. He posts regularly on both of the above Facebook groups and has had excellent feedback from several members there.

As mentioned above, he only offers nickel replating at present but advised me that once the plating business starts turning a profit, he will invest said profits into extra materials to offer other options such as gold and hopefully one day, rhodium.

I think most of us will be delighted just with nickel plating given the low prices and dearth of UK replating options in recent years.

I have requested his email address for those of us who do not use social media and will post more pictures shortly.

Thank you,
Graeme

Nice one Graeme. Well worth mentioning. Good to get the detail: I have already heard of him on here, but 'en passant' rather than a proper intro with specifics. In other words, this underlines your post by saying that JJ already enjoys a certain reputation and this is a welcome reminder and fleshing out of what he does.

Good evening chaps,

I have been in touch with John and he has authorised me to share his email address on an open forum: jjohnjjune@gmail.com

John is very approachable and will likely reply very promptly as he has done with me.

If you do use Facebook or Instagram, I would urge you to check him out there. I only just returned to FB recently where I discovered his services on the aforementioned group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1105435956541712/?ref=share

I don’t frequent Instagram but I’m sure you’ll find him easily enough.

More pictures? Alrighty then…

Some of John’s equipment:

CB757389-03BF-49C7-A580-E564AE35E68F.jpeg

7C79F395-444B-4D53-9AA7-D3094E84074E.jpeg

6DA9590C-9F06-4815-B879-45FDA479FC33.jpeg

And another re-plate job:

7451DFE3-47CD-4D4F-9E9A-0E498B496A71.jpeg

He’s clearly serious about this and gave me a more detailed price list:

JJ Shaves

Gillette adjustable (and similar)
Tune up £10 per razor
Sterilised, ultrasonic cleaned through two stages, function checked, blade gaps checked and reset to factory settings.

Re-plate whole razor £25
Re-plate include a tune up

Re-plate doors £5

Non-adjustable razors
Re-plate two/three piece razors £15
Postage £5 per shipment

John assures me that he strips, cleans and polishes all razors thoroughly beforehand.

Depends what kind of Tech it is and what it would be worth if replated. It’s mostly what things are worth to me personally. If I fell in love with a tarnished, plateless, manky £5 razor then I’d pay £20 to have it done. It’s a personal often sentimental thing borne of little reasoning.

Hello all,

As the title says, I have discovered a new, UK based chap that replates razors. He’s not just a plating service but a razor enthusiast who has his own YouTube channel, Facebook group and Instagram page. He also hones restores straight razors but I’m not pushing this service as we have gents on here that can do that for you. I will take one for the team and report back.

His name is John June of JJ Shaves which is also his popular Facebook group. I found found him via another very popular Facebook group, Vintage Gillette Safety Razors where he’d shown before and after pictures of his work which came with great feedback.

CF88019C-2127-482A-BC5D-F1D1C11D4AFE.jpeg

56EFA10E-786C-4190-9EEC-09669211F628.jpeg

2235F0C8-26D6-4F06-AA5E-38053977AAC0.jpeg

F32C2BF0-DAE3-4E62-8810-5534645DA183.jpeg

Now the very interesting part, prices below.

Nickel only at the moment:

Fatboy, Slim, TTOs: £25 which includes careful fettling to ensure it adjusts properly, stiff mechanisms loosened, no lazy doors and repainting of numbers, etc.

2 & 3 piece (Tech, NEW, OLD, etc): £15

Add on £5 for postage and that’s it.

He seems a really genuine fellow and happy for me to send off my razors now then pay for them once complete. He posts regularly on both of the above Facebook groups and has had excellent feedback from several members there.

As mentioned above, he only offers nickel replating at present but advised me that once the plating business starts turning a profit, he will invest said profits into extra materials to offer other options such as gold and hopefully one day, rhodium.

I think most of us will be delighted just with nickel plating given the low prices and dearth of UK replating options in recent years.

I have requested his email address for those of us who do not use social media and will post more pictures shortly.

Thank you,
Graeme
Heard lots of good things about his work not sure if it’s the same guy but friendship shaving on YouTube found a guy with very good prices in the UK I think after he had a disappointing outcome with razor emporium

You'll actually see the results of some work I asked him to do. It's on its way back to me.
Update shortly!!!
Will the price of Streamlines be taking a new rise?

Certainly looking forward to seeing what you'd commissioned for a new shine. I took a long, hard look at my collection and concluded that I have just one (a Gillette Goodwill) that I'd consider a replate for. I went the other way with a few tatty Gillettes, and took the plate off to reveal the brass.

Will the price of Streamlines be taking a new rise?

Certainly looking forward to seeing what you'd commissioned for a new shine. I took a long, hard look at my collection and concluded that I have just one (a Gillette Goodwill) that I'd consider a replate for. I went the other way with a few tatty Gillettes, and took the plate off to reveal the brass.
I'm sure you'll be interested with the results. I'm sure this guy is going to receive future commissions.

Back
Top Bottom