New Tyres Old valves?

Curious to gauge opinion on this. Just got new tyres fitted for winter and when I was checking the pressures I noticed that the fitter had left the old valves on instead of replacing them. When I queried it they told me they usually do that if the valves look ok but I've never come across it before. They have offered to fit new valves. I know there are some on here "in the trade" and I was wondering what anyone thought.

Tpms valves now days can be swapped out, as its only the sensor on the bottom.
But rubber has a 5 year life expectancy?
A passenger carring vehicle vehicle can nolonger be presented for mot test with 5year+ tyres on the steer wheels as they will fail, so if you gauge this like me , and ive been in the commercial trade for 35years, then a tyre holding lets say 36 psi is staying inflated by a piece of rubber 10mm across for the sake of 1 minute for the tyre monkey to replace it then imho he should have done it.
Valves should be replaced every time a tyre is removed as they are likely to pinch the base

Colin

Tpms valves now days can be swapped out, as its only the sensor on the bottom.
But rubber has a 5 year life expectancy?
A passenger carring vehicle vehicle can nolonger be presented for mot test with 5year+ tyres on the steer wheels as they will fail, so if you gauge this like me , and ive been in the commercial trade for 35years, then a tyre holding lets say 36 psi is staying inflated by a piece of rubber 10mm across for the sake of 1 minute for the tyre monkey to replace it then imho he should have done it.
Valves should be replaced every time a tyre is removed as they are likely to pinch the base

Colin
Agree with this, if a set of tyres last 5 years the valve will have to last 10 years if it is not changed. Get then to change the valves.

Curious to gauge opinion on this. Just got new tyres fitted for winter and when I was checking the pressures I noticed that the fitter had left the old valves on instead of replacing them. When I queried it they told me they usually do that if the valves look ok but I've never come across it before. They have offered to fit new valves. I know there are some on here "in the trade" and I was wondering what anyone thought.
Always replace the valve stems, just plain lazy not to, and they are cheap.

Thanks for the responses. I am getting them to do the valves but I was wondering if it was me being old fashioned and a bit ocd about car stuff or if it was dubious practice from the fitters. The order was with Blackcircles which does say new valves on the website but apparently this wasn't in the order they sent to the fitters. Having said that the bloke who answered the phone when I first called back new straightaway that it was part of the Blackcircles deal. The search for a top quality tyre fitter continues.

Back
Top Bottom