New Razor

I recieved a 7/16 Vintage Garantie Straight Razor from The Strop Shop today and had a shave tonight.

I have had some shaves with a shavette and tried a straight on a couple of occasions. I am now going to give it a serious go.I think the shavette has helped with tecnique to an extent and has helped my confidence.

I did two passes which were fine but struggled with ATG. Is this a common experience? Is there a knack to it? :?:

I finished up with no cuts or nicks which I found suprising.

Most thinks it´s a bit more tricky to go ATG in the beginning and I thought the same, start with the parts that feels ok for you, but it seemed ok to go ATG for you (no nicks :D).

Well done anyhow!

I think the Garnatie razors are underrated, one of my best shavers in a Garantie form Solingen (they where made in Fance aswell and seemed to be a "brand for lent", if you payed for it of course).

Mikael said:
Most thinks it´s a bit more tricky to go ATG in the beginning and I thought the same, start with the parts that feels ok for you, but it seemed ok to go ATG for you (no nicks :D).

Well done anyhow!

I think the Garnatie razors are underrated, one of my best shavers in a Garantie form Solingen (they where made in Fance aswell and seemed to be a "brand for lent", if you payed for it of course).

I didn't push things ATG. If I felt resistance I stopped, which would account for no nicks. It would also account for the lack of a close shave. The sides of my face are fine, its just the stronger growth in the chin area.

I got the razor from the bargin section of The Strop Shop. It came shave ready (man is it sharp)

Going ATG above the lip can be tricky at first. I found holding the blade with two hands helps here.

When I first started out, I kept saying a hippy mantra in my head "lightly lightly"... I still hacked my skin up in the beginning :D

Well done Parwin, it's good to see you doing well with your new razor. I seem to be cutting my upper lip quite a bit. I think it's because my nose gets in the way and I settle for too-steep-an-angle and then *ouch*! I think I am trying to shave too quickly as well, but I'm still expecting a speedy DE shave.

Skin stretching and blade angle is key once you have stropping down right..you can angle too light and too deep you can actually not skim a whisker..I know it sounds weird but have done so in the past...I believe its a 15 degree angle on everything except the neck area..30 degrees below..though you can always "lightly" experiment what really works for you as no 2 faces are alike

Blades

"Garantie" - that's bugging me now. Got a feeling I might have one tucked away, I'll have to check.

I do ATG on my neck up to the jawline every time, but don't generally bother with anywhere north of that, especially the upper lip. :?

I have decided to cut out the ATG pass for the time being and concentrate on getting the hand positions right. I find I am going over the same bit quite a few times to catch all the stubble and end up feeling soar.

I have also noticed that the lather I prefered when DE shaving is not quite good enough for the straight. I am having to go back to basics on that front.

All this and learning to strop as well. Lucky us fellas can multitask. :lol:

Parwin said:
I have also noticed that the lather I prefered when DE shaving is not quite good enough for the straight. I am having to go back to basics on that front.
Same here, had to redo the whole lather making business when I moved to straights, think you've got it down, then everything changes again!

Max

What's different about lathering up for a straight razor shave? More cushion needed in the lather? Or does it just have to be spot on because a straight is less forgiving?

I just had another nice shave. Closer than the last but still not as close as I would like.

I realised that as I moved the razor down my face and changed hands that the angle of the blade was changing as well. This was causing bits of stubble to missed. Will need to pay attention more.

Back
Top Bottom