New R41

A green Astra (Superior Platinum). I dithered awhile before choosing that, but it's a midway sort of blade, and fairly innocuous whilst being reasonably efficient.
Thank you, that's one I will try the next time or a Gillette Rubie, most of my blades are super sharp which are perfectly fine for my mild razors but I feel a lesser blade will be a good fit with this razor.

Paul.

Good service from Muhle UK-ordered yesterday, delivered this morning in time for a late session at the washbasin.

The razor comes in a decent, sleeve-type Muhle logo cardboard box which, along with the razor, contains a card for Muhle's London shop in Soho, a Muhle blade and an instruction booklet, which is quite comprehensive and recommends a 30 degree angle (the same as the Dart, I think). The package also contained the 10th edition of Muhle's magazine, which is handsome, profusely-illustrated coloured production in English and German.

It's a very good-looking razor, polished to within an inch of its life, and it fits together perfectly, with no blade alignment problems. At a listed 113g, it's a lot heavier than the zamak versions. The handle is a nominal 100mm (actually about 99mm) long with a main diameter of 15mm, compared to the 2013 at 87mm x 12mm (approximately). In the "mighty" stakes, it's now more in the league of my hefty Timeless razors.

Soap of choice was Signature Manucium, which I ladled on as thick as I could get it. Yesterday's razor was my Pils, so I was already tuned-in to careful angle-finding, and got round, without bloodshed, in one pass and a touch-up or two. That's one smooth shaver, and I think (based on folk memory, as I haven't used it recently) better all around than my 2013.

Some redness of the chops, and a slight sting from the Floid Mentolado Vigoroso were as expected, but otherwise no other effects.

This is a very good razor (yet another), but like its zamak brothers, it needs very careful attention. In the words of the ad, "a featherlight touch gives a perfect shave". Given the extra weight of the stainless model, even more care is needed in lathering and achieving the right angle. I try not to use razors that can bite me so easily when I'm rushing, and this is one that needs time taken, to shave at a leisurely pace. Unless one has a Desperate Dan profusion of beard, it isn't a razor I'd use to shave with daily. However, in pandemic times when daily shaving isn't always required, it's ideal for whipping off a couple of days' growth.

It's what is known as an "heirloom" razor, and I can't see it wearing out in a hurry. I paid an extra £1.50 for DPD delivery, which arrived bang on the start of the one hour time slot emailed to me, which makes the all-up cost to be £116.50. That's not cheap, and somewhat dearer than some stainless North American razors in the £80-£100 range, but I think that I've got my money's worth.
Cheers - good review and heads up; a razor that demands attention and a light touch - as ever YMMV.

Another day with the new R41, and, abetted by my newly-received tin of Signature Eboracum, I managed to get this thing to perform properly.

As with any new razor, especially ones with such a fearsome reputation, the first use for me is a heady mixture of anticipation, hesitation, experimentation and trepidation. Will it be a Chainsaw Massacre, or a Trumper's Relaxer? This one was no different, and the initial outing was a little tentative.

Today, with additional confidence, I find that this is indeed a very pleasant razor to use. The caveats I mentioned previously about preparation and careful attention still hold good, but I do think this is better than previous R41 versions. I can't, as yet, say exactly why, but it's likely a combination of the extra weight and length, and perhaps also some subtle differences in the form of the heads, which I will examine with my loupe.

Brian at Signature was kind enough to send me a sample of his Valentia splash, which will be the perfect finish for today's R41 adventure.

Another day with the new R41, and, abetted by my newly-received tin of Signature Eboracum, I managed to get this thing to perform properly.

As with any new razor, especially ones with such a fearsome reputation, the first use for me is a heady mixture of anticipation, hesitation, experimentation and trepidation. Will it be a Chainsaw Massacre, or a Trumper's Relaxer? This one was no different, and the initial outing was a little tentative.

Today, with additional confidence, I find that this is indeed a very pleasant razor to use. The caveats I mentioned previously about preparation and careful attention still hold good, but I do think this is better than previous R41 versions. I can't, as yet, say exactly why, but it's likely a combination of the extra weight and length, and perhaps also some subtle differences in the form of the heads, which I will examine with my loupe.

Brian at Signature was kind enough to send me a sample of his Valentia splash, which will be the perfect finish for today's R41 adventure.
I'm pleased this shave was a good experience for you, can I ask what blade you used this time, still the Astra SP?
Thanks,

Paul.

I'm pleased this shave was a good experience for you, can I ask what blade you used this time, still the Astra SP?
Thanks,

Paul.
Still the same Astra. I never use a DE blade for more than three days, but some achieve their best qualities, not on Day 1, but on the subsequent two. I think this is one; toned down a bit, but still sharp enough to be effective. It looks to me as if Astra, Derby Premium, and Shark Platinums might be the best performers. I also have stocks of some other fairly average blades, like Zaza, German Wilkies etc. which might work in the R41, but which are like shaving with a butter knife in most other razors.

Still the same Astra. I never use a DE blade for more than three days, but some achieve their best qualities, not on Day 1, but on the subsequent two. I think this is one; toned down a bit, but still sharp enough to be effective. It looks to me as if Astra, Derby Premium, and Shark Platinums might be the best performers. I also have stocks of some other fairly average blades, like Zaza, German Wilkies etc. which might work in the R41, but which are like shaving with a butter knife in most other razors.
Thank you , may you have continued success with your R41GS shaves.

Paul.

Just arrived. The shave is scheduled for tomorrow.

img_9310.jpg

My Muhle R41GS arrived today in the land of OZ.

I've just had a fantastic shave using a Derby Extra!
Not a blade I would normally reach for but thought I would try in the Muhle R41GS with outstanding results!!!

Paul.
Funnily enough, I used a Derby for my first go with the 2009 Model of the R41, they worked a treat.
I still use that razor often however, one of the teeth has broken so I may be in the market for an upgrade if I can get one shipped for a reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom