New member from North Yorkshire

Welcome to TSR @johncolescarr. (y)

Hello there..... My humble advice I can give on the irritation issues is First and foremost 'ADD NO PRESSURE TO THE RAZOR,LET THE WEIGHT OF THE RAZOR & BLADE DO THE WORK,YOU JUST GUIDE IT OVER YOUR STUBBLE. Equally important is to practice your technique, this is the secret to traditional wet shaving, by doing this you will gain your shaving confidence...."I taught myself to shave the lather from my ugly face, rather than the stubble"....This will help to reduce irritation. Get yourself a sample pack of DE blades to find which is best suited to your skin type.

Don't worry too much about anyone else's opinion....Try not to expect too much too soon and be on a obsessional quest to get a perfect BBS shave with each shave.... Nobody is standing on the other side of the mirror making biased judgements. The face you're shaving is your own, and you don't have to satisfy anyone but yourself. The wonderful thing about traditional wet shaving for me is that there are so many good products out there and there literally is something for just about everyone....The vast majority of my shave set ups are inexpensive, which work perfectly for me....Last but not least try doing one WTG pass at first until your skin gets accustomed to this way of shaving. Enjoy your new shaving experience.

Yours- Barry.:cool:
Some of the best advice I’ve read. Welcome, sir! :)(y)

Welcome from me too. It was lockdown that got me into wet shaving too, for taking pride in my appearance again even if nobody else sees, for learning to use and maintain a straight razor, and 15 minutes of time for myself each day.

Don't overthink straight razors, I dived straight in after watching a handful of videos. The most important thing is to make sure your first razor really is shave ready. Ebay sellers in the main (with a few exceptions) just add that phrase as they know it boosts selling price, but many don't know what it means. You need your first to be truly shave ready or you'll never know if it's your technique or the blade. Other than that, it's just going lightly, with the correct angle (spine approx 1 spine width from face) and doing short, light strokes, being careful to keep an eye on where the tip is, and having the razor moving at the right speed and angles (direction and from the skin) when it makes contact.

Enjoy your time here, there are plenty of helpful guys to steer you in the right direction and help you spend you money!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom