New Knot in old Brush ??? Help needed...

Just got this off E-Bay, now i have some questions, i want to clean it up and put a nice new badger Knot in it, so my questions are, how difficult is it to do this ?, where does one obtain a Badger Knot, and if i feel it's gonna be to much for me as i'm a halfwit when it comes to anything artistic, mechanical, or needs patience !, would one of the Brush makers on here be able to do it for me ?

Thanks

Steve

405194968_tp.jpg

405194834_tp.jpg

405195054_tp.jpg

i read this over the other place....

It's a service we have provided for many years without the need for advertisement.

Simply contact us via email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:enquiries@progress-vulfix.com">enquiries@progress-vulfix.com</a><!-- e --> for more information.

We'll inspect the brush if supplied, supply a cost to remove the existing head & re-bristle. If agreed, voilà, as good as new ...

Always happy to help.

Regards,

Mark

just a thought

The Golden Nib is your first choice for individual knots. Removing an old knot can be cumbersome, but with a stationary drill and/or dremel tool, and some common sense, should be possible. Cut the knot just above the handle. From there on down it should be mostly (epoxy?) glue and glue/hair 'composite'. It should be possible to remove this with appropriate cutting tools.

henkverhaar said:
The Golden Nib is your first choice for individual knots. Removing an old knot can be cumbersome, but with a stationary drill and/or dremel tool, and some common sense, should be possible. Cut the knot just above the handle. From there on down it should be mostly (epoxy?) glue and glue/hair 'composite'. It should be possible to remove this with appropriate cutting tools.

It was looking good until i saw the world "Tools" Henk, then the panic and fear set's in, D.I.Y to me goes as far putting on a new Toilet seat for my Girlfriends Mum, and i managed to f**k that up !!! :lol: :lol:

I tried to paint some doors for her once a few years ago and used so much gloss paint that i believe that it's still drying now !!! :lol:

I've read that one shouldn't put your brush in boiling water as it may loosen the knot, I doubt there would be potential much likelihood of damaging the handle as well so it might be worth giving it a soak in near boiling water then donning some marigolds and try pulling the old knot out.

n1vlo said:
i read this over the other place....

It's a service we have provided for many years without the need for advertisement.

Simply contact us via email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:enquiries@progress-vulfix.com">enquiries@progress-vulfix.com</a><!-- e --> for more information.

We'll inspect the brush if supplied, supply a cost to remove the existing head & re-bristle. If agreed, voilà, as good as new ...

Always happy to help.

Regards,

Mark

just a thought

It is worth considering for that special brush that requires a Simpson knot but you wont get any change out of £50. Depending on knot probably more.

Jeltz said:
I've read that one shouldn't put your brush in boiling water as it may loosen the knot, I doubt there would be potential much likelihood of damaging the handle as well so it might be worth giving it a soak in near boiling water then donning some marigolds and try pulling the old knot out.

Depends on the glue, but yes, most fast epoxies soften enough around 100°C that you can easily unbond stuff. However, this handle looks like it is old enough that it would predate epoxy as the glue of choice.

By marigolds I take it you mean kitchen gloves, right?

Jeltz said:
it might be worth giving it a soak in near boiling water then donning some marigolds and try pulling the old knot out.

Sounds a bit painful :eek: besides,,,, hes got enough on his plate with the Sellotape :lol:
regards, beejay

SirPrize said:
sunburyboy93 said:
Yeah, i do believe i would end up f*****g it up in my own special way !!!!
Decapitation (slow roll of drums) should only be carried out by a qualified Headsman.

Yes i think it's best as it looks quite a nice old Brush, it has survived for years so don't want to mess it up now, i think with a New Knot and a bit of TLC it should look great. :D

Back
Top Bottom