New Handle Help

Hi guys, I'm wondering if I could get some help. Yesterday I ordered a lovely handle from Chisel and Hound and ordered myself a G5A knot for it in 26mm. In the night I got a message from APShaveCo stating that his remaining 26mm G5A knot runs larger and needs a 28mm+ handle. He does state he's getting a new batch sometime next week.

So I need help with two things. Firstly is there someone on here that I could get to set the knot for me? As I have ruined a few knots before trying to do so knot. Secondly, As he's offered me a refund, is there another knot I should get that runs true to size? as I would like to avoid having to drill the handle to accommodate a knot.

Kind Regards
Callum

Handle has now arrived, and it looks even better in person. The knot should hopefully be sent out this week to me.

Is there anyone on here that can set knots? Obviously I will pay to have it done. I just don't trust myself, I ruined a knot and handle in the past and don't want the same to happen again.

Kind Regards
Callum

Don't be scared of setting the knot. If I can do it, anyone can. Just work out the loft you want and pack it accordingly. @Gairdner can probably advise better on this.

Not sure on the Maggards G5. One of the differences between A and C is one is made in Japan and one in Germany if I recall correctly. Worthwhile comparing Maggards and APS for that. Also, G5 is a generic term used by many manufacturers.

As far as I'm aware, AP Shave G5A are bulbs and G5C are fans, both are fairly short hair Knots and I would suggest setting them fairly shallow to maximise the loft height

I've now had to order a knot from Maggard, as ApShaveCo still hadn't got in the 26mm knot. I've gone with the Maggard G5.

What epoxy would I need to get to set the knot myself? And is there a video I should watch on youtube to follow along with?

Thanks
Callum

When you have both your handle and knot, pop the knot into the hole and have a look how you like it. If the knot sinks too much, you'll want to pad out the hole with, say, coins, slices of wine cork, packing foam, whatever ... to get the level right. Then you slice a little off and pour on a little epoxy to set the height. Let it dry ...

Once dry, pop your knot on again and check that you still like it. If you hate it, you can always scour our what you've done and start again. Like it? Make up a tad more epoxy and apply into the hole. Drop your knot in and press gently. Too much epoxy and it'll squish up around the sides and make a right mess of your knot. Less is more!!!

If you use too little epoxy, the knot might pop out later on. Unlikely, but it might happen. No drama, just make up some more epoxy and set it back in. Really, you learn a lot from just doing it and there's not a lot more anyone can really tell you about it - go slowly, go steady, check dry, fit, check, re-check and then leave it alone.

Epoxy? Any two part. I've currently got Gorilla brand which was reduced at the supermarket.

When you have both your handle and knot, pop the knot into the hole and have a look how you like it. If the knot sinks too much, you'll want to pad out the hole with, say, coins, slices of wine cork, packing foam, whatever ... to get the level right. Then you slice a little off and pour on a little epoxy to set the height. Let it dry ...

Once dry, pop your knot on again and check that you still like it. If you hate it, you can always scour our what you've done and start again. Like it? Make up a tad more epoxy and apply into the hole. Drop your knot in and press gently. Too much epoxy and it'll squish up around the sides and make a right mess of your knot. Less is more!!!

If you use too little epoxy, the knot might pop out later on. Unlikely, but it might happen. No drama, just make up some more epoxy and set it back in. Really, you learn a lot from just doing it and there's not a lot more anyone can really tell you about it - go slowly, go steady, check dry, fit, check, re-check and then leave it alone.

Epoxy? Any two part. I've currently got Gorilla brand which was reduced at the supermarket.
+1 to this

Thanks for everyone's advice on this. I now feel more than confident that I can set the knot myself.

I got a notification earlier that my new knot is on its way from Maggard. So tomorrow, I will pick up some epoxy.

Don't be scared of setting the knot. If I can do it, anyone can. Just work out the loft you want and pack it accordingly. @Gairdner can probably advise better on this.

Not sure on the Maggards G5. One of the differences between A and C is one is made in Japan and one in Germany if I recall correctly. Worthwhile comparing Maggards and APS for that. Also, G5 is a generic term used by many manufacturers.
I’d be happy to set it for you. I have my own technique and use two part ultra strong Araldite. Not cocked one up yet! No charge, just cover me postage both ways. No pressure and up to you. If it’s advice your after, please PM and I’ll get back to you when I get off my backside in the ‘gairden’. I’m not the last word in knot setting by any means and there’s a lot of expertise on here. Don’t worry fella, TSR will see you right…;)(y)

I’d be happy to set it for you. I have my own technique and use two part ultra strong Araldite. Not cocked one up yet! No charge, just cover me postage both ways. No pressure and up to you. If it’s advice your after, please PM and I’ll get back to you when I get off my backside in the ‘gairden’. I’m not the last word in knot setting by any means and there’s a lot of expertise on here. Don’t worry fella, TSR will see you right…;)(y)
That would be greatly appreciated. Although I feel confident at doing it myself, I much rather prefer someone to do it that knows what hes doing.

I will send you over a PM a little later.

Thanks
Callum

Back
Top Bottom