New guy sick of razor burn

Lol, I hope so, already have mountain bikes funneling the cash out, hopefully this doesn't become an obsession

Good advice thanks, I've watched a few videos mentioning angle but never phrased like that. cheers!

What on earth is this?

Very kind, DM inbound!

Blown away by the friendly response here guys
Sorry an alum block is a small block that (guys, correct me if I'm wrong) is an astringent which soothes the skin after shaving. Sorry should have explained it. We all started somewhere.

I've never owned or used one, but many do.

Alum blocks are made of natural potassium alum, a material found on rocks in areas of weather and oxidation which has antiseptic and astringent qualities. Alum blocks are used by many for healing minor nicks and cuts from shaving. Another popular use is as an aftershave treatment. It can help fight razor burn, improve skin tone, prevent ache, and kill germs.[1] Alum blocks are typically small, rock like blocks which look clear to milky. They can last for up to two years, even with daily use.

OP
CanMan
Well, the bounty has arrived. Went with the astra blades and first shave was, tough. I was concentrating a lot (and still managed to cut my chin!). No stinging or redness around my neck so far, not the closest shave in the world but I was being pretty timid and only did 1 pass with the grain. Pretty happy with the experience over all, looking forward to getting some practice in and getting a bit slicker!

Pay attention to the razor angle and the amount of pressure you're applying and it shouldn't take long to develop a feel for it.

Did you check the blade alignment? The edge should be parallel with the cap on both sides.

With my own Fatip Piccolo the blade can be pushed out more on one side than the other so I can set it up with a mild side and a more aggressive side if I want.

Pay attention to the razor angle and the amount of pressure you're applying and it shouldn't take long to develop a feel for it.

Did you check the blade alignment? The edge should be parallel with the cap on both sides.

With my own Fatip Piccolo the blade can be pushed out more on one side than the other so I can set it up with a mild side and a more aggressive side if I want.
I've got an early Piccolo, completely unmarked, and the alignment is amazingly good without doing anything, but the quality can be hit and miss apparently. Still one of my favorite razors, great shaver!

I've never owned or used one, but many do.

Alum blocks are made of natural potassium alum, a material found on rocks in areas of weather and oxidation which has antiseptic and astringent qualities. Alum blocks are used by many for healing minor nicks and cuts from shaving. Another popular use is as an aftershave treatment. It can help fight razor burn, improve skin tone, prevent ache, and kill germs.[1] Alum blocks are typically small, rock like blocks which look clear to milky. They can last for up to two years, even with daily use.

A lot less if you drop them like I've been known to do! A lot longer if you dont.....

Top Bottom