New guy sick of razor burn

One tub???? Wise, possibly. Sustainable on here? Definitely not.... :rolleyes: :LOL:
You'll learn...... but you dont have to be a shaving junkie like some of us......I go through phases (just been through a big on). At the beginning, the advice given previously is great. If however you get the bug..... you have been warned. On a serious note look at the results and keep the pressure light. Think about an alum block, it did wonders for me. They last ages if you dont drop them. Good luck!

i hope you find your combo quick before it empties your wallet lol
Lol, I hope so, already have mountain bikes funneling the cash out, hopefully this doesn't become an obsession

Put more of the cap on your face and less comb so the blade cuts instead of scraping the hair off.
Good advice thanks, I've watched a few videos mentioning angle but never phrased like that. cheers!

Think about an alum block
What on earth is this?
Depending on where you based we may be able to get you some sample blades sent through. Dm me if your interested
Very kind, DM inbound!

Blown away by the friendly response here guys

Welcome to TSR

There will be a learning process with DE shaving.

Most important - let the weight of the razor do the shaving (don't be tempted to apply pressure as you would with a cartridge razor

Ensure your lather is the right consistency (if it is foamy it won't provide protection and proper glide)

Map the direction of your beard growth (you will likely find the whiskers grow in multiple directions, especially on your neck)

Only shave when you need a shave (it's fun when you start out, but multiple passes with a sharp blade will only lead to irritation and soreness)

Your boar brush will go through a breaking in process (the bristle ends will split and soften) This may take some time, and until then your lather won't be great.
A synthetic brush from Body Shop for around £5 would be a sound investment (not that I am trying to enable you to buy multiple brushes you understand!!)

Find time to watch some YouTube videos by Mantic59 , you can learn a lot from them.

Enjoy your shaves !

If you have small nicks or red dots, finishing a shave with a cold water rinse will usually close them up.

If that doesn't work, an alum block rubbed over your (wet) face will usually do the trick.

Alum gives you good feedback on your shaving technique. Any tiny nicks will sting.

Perspi Rock make a stick with a rounded shape which is much gentler on flayed skin than a square shaving block.

Lol, I hope so, already have mountain bikes funneling the cash out, hopefully this doesn't become an obsession

Good advice thanks, I've watched a few videos mentioning angle but never phrased like that. cheers!

What on earth is this?

Very kind, DM inbound!

Blown away by the friendly response here guys
Sorry an alum block is a small block that (guys, correct me if I'm wrong) is an astringent which soothes the skin after shaving. Sorry should have explained it. We all started somewhere.

I've never owned or used one, but many do.

Alum blocks are made of natural potassium alum, a material found on rocks in areas of weather and oxidation which has antiseptic and astringent qualities. Alum blocks are used by many for healing minor nicks and cuts from shaving. Another popular use is as an aftershave treatment. It can help fight razor burn, improve skin tone, prevent ache, and kill germs.[1] Alum blocks are typically small, rock like blocks which look clear to milky. They can last for up to two years, even with daily use.

Well, the bounty has arrived. Went with the astra blades and first shave was, tough. I was concentrating a lot (and still managed to cut my chin!). No stinging or redness around my neck so far, not the closest shave in the world but I was being pretty timid and only did 1 pass with the grain. Pretty happy with the experience over all, looking forward to getting some practice in and getting a bit slicker!

Pay attention to the razor angle and the amount of pressure you're applying and it shouldn't take long to develop a feel for it.

Did you check the blade alignment? The edge should be parallel with the cap on both sides.

With my own Fatip Piccolo the blade can be pushed out more on one side than the other so I can set it up with a mild side and a more aggressive side if I want.

Pay attention to the razor angle and the amount of pressure you're applying and it shouldn't take long to develop a feel for it.

Did you check the blade alignment? The edge should be parallel with the cap on both sides.

With my own Fatip Piccolo the blade can be pushed out more on one side than the other so I can set it up with a mild side and a more aggressive side if I want.
I've got an early Piccolo, completely unmarked, and the alignment is amazingly good without doing anything, but the quality can be hit and miss apparently. Still one of my favorite razors, great shaver!

I've never owned or used one, but many do.

Alum blocks are made of natural potassium alum, a material found on rocks in areas of weather and oxidation which has antiseptic and astringent qualities. Alum blocks are used by many for healing minor nicks and cuts from shaving. Another popular use is as an aftershave treatment. It can help fight razor burn, improve skin tone, prevent ache, and kill germs.[1] Alum blocks are typically small, rock like blocks which look clear to milky. They can last for up to two years, even with daily use.

A lot less if you drop them like I've been known to do! A lot longer if you dont.....

Back
Top Bottom