New Forest Superior Badger 2201

Two band badger hair

Two band hair is simply that. It has a black band and a white band. It comes from long badger hair. So it is possible to have only two bands showing above the top of the handle.

There are two types of long badger hair - Long Finest Silvertip which is picked from the back of a rare breed of a long haired species of badger, only found in remote areas of China. It is the most expensive hair used to make badger brushes like the old Rooney Finest.

There is also Long Best Badger hair. This is the finer longer hair from the best badger grade, about half of which is wasted in the making of the brush head.This is very much like the Long Finest Silvertip but more widely available so lower in price, equivalent to the cost of standard silvertip.

As I explain in my New Forest Brushes Blog. The 2201 is made from Long Best Badger hair, and since only two bands appear above the level of the brush handle it is rightly described as two band.

The New Forest Superior Badger hair quality matches that of a standard silvertip. That's why one of my next brushes will be a Finest Silvertip - which is redressed and regraded silvertip.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->

New Forest Superior Badger 2201
Ht: 100 mm Loft: 50 mm Base: 50 mm Knot: 22 mm
*Ht: 102 mm Loft: 52 mm Base: 50 mm Knot: 22 mm

Water capacity:
25ml/4.5tsp/1.5TBL

Shaken 3x:
-1 TBL

Craftsmanship:
Picked this one up from Peter ( Fido ) at The Shaving Room ( TSR ).
Logo is stamped very much like majority of manufacturers.
Despite the minute mar on the waist line it didn't bother me whatsoever. Much like
the speckle on Semogue 620.

Handlewise it's very simple and effective. I'm not too crazy about it but it works. It's bit longer version of Penworks Pure Horn handle by 3 mm. The latter however much stouter up top.

Odorwise there's minute funk. Truth be told it's not even fit to be called this "funk" we've come to know and appreciate. After immersing in water to my surprise, it didn't smell like your typical wet mutt.
No malodourous effect whatsoever.

Lather Making Ability:
Use Alraz ProBomb. STicky dollop. 9 Passes. 1st lather very nice and rich and thick and whip-cream like. Dry on 2nd pass due to thickness in lather. Rework 2nd pass. 4th pass started to dry. Rework again. Thin on 8th pass.
Meringue-like on 9th pass.

Tip Softness:
Soft but scrubby not prickly. Omega 599 and Vie-Long 16590 much softer.

Bristle Stiffness:
Firm but not too firm. Just right. Harder than Penworks Horn Pure as well as
Vie-Long 16590. Definitely not flaccid. To best of my recollection, it closely
tight and firm like Vulfix 2273 Super. Essentially its ability to retain its bulbous form is remarkable as can be seen in post-bloom shots.

Knot Density:
Dense indeed. Perhaps very much like the Simpsons Wee Scot but in larger form.

Overall impression:
This review is far from over-need to use other soaps and creams. My initial impression is that this is very good brush. It lives up to its moniker "Superior badger." It very much exemplify what a badger brush should be. That might sound foolhardy coming from someone with limited experience with badgers. However in truth it doesn't take brush user much less badger user to know what's effective and what's ineffectual.

Short bit of history: started with Simpsons B4 Pure but sought try others. Went with The Golden Nib (TGN) silvertip in 22, 24 and 26 knot.
While 22 provied copious amounts of lather, I found it unecessary for I don't sport a tramp's beard much less Santa Claus.
It lacked spine. Didn't bother with 24 and 26 knots.
I reckon I could have gone with 22 Finest/Extra or it's Fan-shaped counterpart but haven't ventured in that area.

From there, I tried boar and never looked back apart from picking up few badgers you'll hear about in a bit.
Of course like all new brushes I like to gently scrub the brush down side of my face for kicks to sort of get a feel. Of course not much can be said bout brushes when dry so it's irrelevant. Anyway, I'd a feeling about this brush, Peter wasn't kidding when he said,

"So this would give a range from a fairly stiff backboned brush to one with a larger, softer more luxurious feel."

Price? Say what? Nevermind that sonny this what a brush should be! But of course I might be in minority considering for one I've lack experience in badger due to aforementioned reasons. All in all, I look forward to many more New Forest Superiour Badgers.

Group:
Everything is post-bloom except Omega 615-20 mm and MM928 24 and 26 knot.
Vulfix 2273-19 mm, Omega 599-18 mm, Omega 615, New Forest Superior 2201 (wet), MM928 Black & White Ebony Rook 22 mm, Red/Golden Tan Rook 24 mm, Holy Land Olive Wood Rook w/ Bocote inlay 26 mm
389252166.jpg

Bird eye group
389252168.jpg

Group with New Forest dry
Vulfix 2273, Omega 599, Omega 615 ( loft 1 mm longer than 599 )
389252165.jpg

Bird eye
389252163.jpg

Sticky dollop
389252065.jpg

1st pass
389252066.jpg

389252067.jpg

389252068.jpg

6th pass
389252081.jpg

389252083.jpg

389252084.jpg

Bird eye 6th pass
389252085.jpg

9th
389252093.jpg

389252094.jpg

389252095.jpg

30 Shaves

-Added weight

Dry weight: 37.4
g: 58.1
oz: 2.04
ozt: 1.86

*note shed once in 30 shaves
*after pre-soaking 45 min brush was not flaccid whatsoever. Performance not compromised.
*unlike majority of brush users who used their New Forest, this particular New Forest's logo was intact thanks to my god-like control

*Note to self*
upload lathering videos

*include picture of Omega 21047 7th use logo faded due to negligence
*include picture of Omega 599 Silver after 22x use impeccable

*Puts flamesuit on*

...oh but wait I'm not at SMF. **** you all haters and DIAMFF...Shilling?! What a bunch of amazing idiots!

Re: 30 Shaves

SiR-ed8 said:
-Added weight

Dry weight: 37.4
g: 58.1
oz: 2.04
ozt: 1.86

*note shed once in 30 shaves
*after pre-soaking 45 min brush was not flaccid whatsoever. Performance not compromised.
*unlike majority of brush users who used their New Forest, this particular New Forest's logo was intact thanks to my god-like control

*Note to self*
upload lathering videos

*include picture of Omega 21047 7th use logo faded due to negligence
*include picture of Omega 599 Silver after 22x use impeccable

*Puts flamesuit on*

...oh but wait I'm not at SMF. **** you all haters and DIAMFF...Shilling?! What a bunch of amazing idiots!

DIAMFF! Bit strong old chap, it's only shaving.

Tranquilo

Back
Top Bottom