NEW DE SHAVERS - What to buy to get started...

Hello if I could start again I wouldn't recommend cheap products,
Get 1 good quality badger brush- I recommend Simpsons super badger or Manchurian.
1 synthetic- cashmere knot in a nice custom Handel of your choice I like wolfwiskers
1 quality razor - charcoal goods level 2 maybe
3 good soaps- grooming dept, wholly kaw, zingari
1 blads - nilette nacet
If you buy good quality shaving will be a luxury a d you won't need to replace your products

If you hadn't gone through the process of trying the products you had you wouldn't appreciate the difference in the products you happen to prefer now. That's a journey many go through none of which I might add will ensure that you will necessarily get a better shave btw, it's just a preference that follows your learning and subsequent purchasing choices. I think you're mistaken in principle though, some of the best shaves I get are still from a cheap vintage razor and high street cream despite owning many so called luxury items I can appreciate both.

For many of us it's not just a daily routine many are “ collectors “ and we certainly haven't saved any money.
but I have realized over the years that without improving my shaving technique I could have bought the most expensive razors creams or blades and the results would never arrive .
improve the technique and you will shave with anything ! Even with a cheap razor and a Marseille soap .

as an old advertisement said :

D897060A-B486-43B6-BD11-685201C46390.jpeg

If I could start again, I would recommend.

1. Good soap - I think there is much to be said for putting good quality product on your skin. If starting again, I would look for a soap which lathers easy with great protection and glide. I love the soaps the Signature Soaps that @BrianH and the Gentleman's Groom, Essence of Scotland soaps that @Ian T produces. A good soap can help protect against the odd nick and shaving rash that you can experience while getting your shaving technique sorted. I would give Cella Almond an honourable mention.

2. Brush - I would look for an Omega Boar - solid build and good exfoliation - decent price.

3. Razor - if money was no object, I would be tempted with the Blackland Lite - easy to find the blade angle - the Lite is designed to be smooth and kind on the skin. The Rockwell 6S is also I feel worth a shout - not least the ability to play around with different settings. The Merkur 34C is brilliant and seems to have universal appeal.

4. Blades - For me Gillette Silver Blue - sharp, good quality, reliable. With hindight, I would start with a blade on the sharper side - at the end of the day it's about hair removal - the fewer strokes, the better?

5. Post shave splash - Myrsol K - great skin feel and a good dose of menthol.

6. After have balm - Proraso Green - solid performer.

I have enjoyed this thread and thinking about what I would do if I had my time again.

All the best,

Chris

For New Double Edge Shavers

Updated Shaving Kit Advice

For anyone new to shaving with a double edge razor, here is what I would buy and recommend as quality kit for starting out. This kit isn’t just for starters as it may well be all the gear you’ll ever need. I still own some of the things listed below and despite having many years experience, regularly use these quality items. There are cheaper options out there and whilst some may be ok, I would always operate by the advice, “Buy cheap, buy twice.”

Double Edge Razor: Muehle R89 standard (I went for this over the Edwin Jagger DE89 due to Muehle’s brass screw post on the top cap - ultimately it will last longer). Easy to find shaving angle, shaves great for most people and is all any shaver might need. I happily still use one today. Honourable mentions to the Edwin Jagger DE89 range and the Merkur 23C/33C/34C. You’ll find the most of these razors available at the retailers listed below.

Shaving Brush: Omega 20102 Pure Bristle (Boar). In fact many of the Italian Omega boar range come highly recommended but I’d go for the one above. It will provide great results with all lather mediums be they hard soaps, shaving creams or soaps of a softer nature. It will face lather wonderfully and bowl lather well too. It looks good with its beechwood base, black ABS and real metal ring. Take the sticker off as it looks crap and will come off pretty darn quick anyway. Again, it could be all the brush anyone ever needs as could many of the Omega Boar (Pure Bristle) lineup. A few pence over £10 gets you that 20102 brush which punches well above some that cost more than twice as much. (Very good range available at Connaught)

For a synthetic option perhaps a Trafalgar T3 or T2 from Simpsons may be better for some although more expensive than the wonderful Omega already discussed.

I will refrain from recommending a badger hair brush until shavers are more experienced and are certain that double edge shaving is the best method for them. The reason for this is their prohibitive cost and multitude of different badger hair types. Get your technique down with other kit then take the badger plunge if you wish.

Shaving Soap or Cream: despite being a lover of Mitchell’s Wool Fat, I wouldn’t want to discourage a new shaver that has not learned its ways. Thus I shall recommend you hunt down Cyril R Salter hard shaving soap (Connaught Shaving or The Traditional Shaving Company) or a tub of the excellent Italian 3P soft shaving soap if you like almond/marzipan/Bakewell tarts. I I like tarts from other places too but I digress…
For a cream I’d suggest Palmolive Shaving Cream which can be obtained for as little as £2 from Sainsburys, Tesco and many local and high street chemists/pharmacies. It may be low cost but it is an excellent shaving cream that I will always keep in my den. Pricier options include the excellent Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond Street ranges.

Aftershave/Aftershave Balm: do you prefer an alcohol splash, a nourishing balm or both? For a cheap splash that does it all, I’ll recommend Boot’s Freshwood aftershave and /or Balm. A balm-type product that really delivers is 3P Pre/Post making an excellent balm whether you use it as a pre-shave or not. Other notable ‘goodies’ here would be Superdrug’s Forest Fresh or Sierran Breeze alcohol based aftershaves or again, any flavour of Proraso be it a traditional aftershave or a balm. A truly first class affordable aftershave balm would be anything from Bart’s Balms although they are a little more expensive.

Blades: get a sampler pack from one of the dedicated online shaving shops such as Connaught Shaving. Ask older members for recommendations and don’t be shy. You’ll get a hundred different suggestions of which blade is best but start with just a few and keep with one at a time and no chopping and changing till your technique improves and you can start to tell the different blades apart. What works for one may not for another. What works for you regardless of what it says on the packet or whatever some ‘guru’ recommends, is what is best.

And remember, have fun!!!

Pictures we like so here are some:

Muehle R89:

BAFC6B0A-A8A7-4A99-9379-3BBBA8071C06.png

Omega 20102:

33E65DAF-F211-4370-BD08-DF9213F53016.png

Cyril R Salter Shaving Soap:

85E092E7-DFA9-44E2-9F04-3C758AEC7302.jpeg

Palmolive Shaving Cream

4E871099-2081-429C-A950-97AE3EBEE431.png

Boot’s Freshwood Aftershave:

16D8CD2B-0D2D-4F4A-8DF7-0D9F5AC4ED0B.png

Recommended online shop suggestions;

• Agent Shave
  • Connaught Shaving
  • The Gentleman’s Groom Room
  • The English Shaving Company
  • The Traditional Shaving Company
  • Shaving Time
  • The Executive Shaving Company
  • The Shaving Shack
  • La Barbiera
  • Big Deals Mart

All of the above have dedicated websites that cater to the wet shaver. As already mentioned Connaught have great blade sample packs and the latter two sites have fantastic prices and service on individual bulk packs of blades as well as soaps and creams. The eight sites at the top of this list are good places to look for your first razor such as the already mentioned Muehle R89, Edwin Jagger DE89 series and Merkur’s 23C, 33C or 34C.

If any of the above causes confusion please do not hesitate to ask any long term member for guidance. I am certainly more than happy to help but remember, it is your money and you must do what you think is best.

I personally would stay away from eBay and Amazon as ultimately you will get a better range and service from the dedicated independent retailers listed above. These businesses are owned and run by wet shavers just like you and I and form an integral, important part of our community. This is, however, merely my opinion.

Please feel free to ignore all of the above and go totally your own way: it's your money, skin and blood.

Pleasant shaves to one and all!

Last edited:
For my money I'd go;
Gillette Tech, plentyful on Ebay and well under £15
A pack of blades from a local Chemist, usually Gillette around £1.50
Arko Stick soap currently under £2.00
Any Synthetic Brush for around £6.00
Cheap, Cheerful and capable of shaving until you decide whether or not you'll take to the game.

For New Double Edge Shavers

Updated Shaving Kit Advice

For anyone new to shaving with a double edge razor, here is what I would buy and recommend as quality kit for starting out. This kit isn’t just for starters as it may well be all the gear you’ll ever need. I still own some of the things listed below and despite having many years experience, regularly use these quality items. There are cheaper options out there and whilst some may be ok, I would always operate by the advice, “Buy cheap, buy twice.”

Double Edge Razor: Muehle R89 standard (I went for this over the Edwin Jagger DE89 due to Muehle’s brass screw post on the top cap - ultimately it will last longer). Easy to find shaving angle, shaves great for most people and is all any shaver might need. I happily still use one today. Honourable mentions to the Edwin Jagger DE89 range and the Merkur 23C/33C/34C. You’ll find the most of these razors available at the retailers listed below.

Shaving Brush: Omega 20102 Pure Bristle (Boar). In fact many of the Italian Omega boar range come highly recommended but I’d go for the one above. It will provide great results with all lather mediums be they hard soaps, shaving creams or soaps of a softer nature. It will face lather wonderfully and bowl lather well too. It looks good with its beechwood base, black ABS and real metal ring. Take the sticker off as it looks crap and will come off pretty darn quick anyway. Again, it could be all the brush anyone ever needs as could many of the Omega Boar (Pure Bristle) lineup. A few pence over £10 gets you that 20102 brush which punches well above some that cost more than twice as much. (Very good range available at Connaught)

For a synthetic option perhaps a Trafalgar T3 or T2 from Simpsons may be better for some although more expensive than the wonderful Omega already discussed.

I will refrain from recommending a badger hair brush until shavers are more experienced and are certain that double edge shaving is the best method for them. The reason for this is their prohibitive cost and multitude of different badger hair types. Get your technique down with other kit then take the badger plunge if you wish.

Shaving Soap or Cream: despite being a lover of Mitchell’s Wool Fat, I wouldn’t want to discourage a new shaver that has not learned its ways. Thus I shall recommend you hunt down Cyril R Salter hard shaving soap (Connaught Shaving or The Traditional Shaving Company) or a tub of the excellent Italian 3P soft shaving soap if you like almond/marzipan/Bakewell tarts. I I like tarts from other places too but I digress…
For a cream I’d suggest Palmolive Shaving Cream which can be obtained for as little as £2 from Sainsburys, Tesco and many local and high street chemists/pharmacies. It may be low cost but it is an excellent shaving cream that I will always keep in my den. Pricier options include the excellent Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond Street ranges.

Aftershave/Aftershave Balm: do you prefer an alcohol splash, a nourishing balm or both? For a cheap splash that does it all, I’ll recommend Boot’s Freshwood aftershave and /or Balm. A balm-type product that really delivers is 3P Pre/Post making an excellent balm whether you use it as a pre-shave or not. Other notable ‘goodies’ here would be Superdrug’s Forest Fresh or Sierran Breeze alcohol based aftershaves or again, any flavour of Proraso be it a traditional aftershave or a balm. A truly first class affordable aftershave balm would be anything from Bart’s Balms although they are a little more expensive.

Blades: get a sampler pack from one of the dedicated online shaving shops such as Connaught Shaving. Ask older members for recommendations and don’t be shy. You’ll get a hundred different suggestions of which blade is best but start with just a few and keep with one at a time and no chopping and changing till your technique improves and you can start to tell the different blades apart. What works for one may not for another. What works for you regardless of what it says on the packet or whatever some ‘guru’ recommends, is what is best.

And remember, have fun!!!

Pictures we like so here are some:

Muehle R89:

View attachment 101679

Omega 20102:

View attachment 101680

Cyril R Salter Shaving Soap:

View attachment 101681

Palmolive Shaving Cream

View attachment 101683

Boot’s Freshwood Aftershave:

View attachment 101682

Recommended online shop suggestions;

• Agent Shave
  • Connaught Shaving
  • The Gentleman’s Groom Room
  • The English Shaving Company
  • The Traditional Shaving Company
  • Shaving Time
  • The Executive Shaving Company
  • The Shaving Shack
  • La Barbiera
  • Big Deals Mart

All of the above have dedicated websites that cater to the wet shaver. As already mentioned Connaught have great blade sample packs and the latter two sites have fantastic prices and service on individual bulk packs of blades as well as soaps and creams. The eight sites at the top of this list are good places to look for your first razor such as the already mentioned Muehle R89, Edwin Jagger DE89 series and Merkur’s 23C, 33C or 34C.

If any of the above causes confusion please do not hesitate to ask any long term member for guidance. I am certainly more than happy to help but remember, it is your money and you must do what you think is best.

I personally would stay away from eBay and Amazon as ultimately you will get a better range and service from the dedicated independent retailers listed above. These businesses are owned and run by wet shavers just like you and I and form an integral, important part of our community. This is, however, merely my opinion.

Please feel free to ignore all of the above and go totally your own way: it's your money, skin and blood.

Pleasant shaves to one and all!

Hard to disagree with any of that. I would just add that, in my experience, the EJ and Muhle razors feel more sold and upmarket than the Merkur offerings..

Derby Shaving Kit
  • 1 The Shave Factory Double Edge Safety Razor
  • 1 The Shave Factory Hand Made Shaving Brush
  • 100 Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
  • 1 Derby Shaving Cream
  • £14.99 only 6 left

1677983224029.png

Looks ideal for a beginner who wants to test the water without spending a fortune.
Still in stock at time of posting, and the price is unchanged.

Derby Shaving Kit
  • 1 The Shave Factory Double Edge Safety Razor
  • 1 The Shave Factory Hand Made Shaving Brush
  • 100 Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
  • 1 Derby Shaving Cream
  • £14.99 only 6 left

1677983224029.png

Looks ideal for a beginner who wants to test the water without spending a fortune.
Still in stock at time of posting, and the price is unchanged.

That looks like a bit of a deal...

Back
Top Bottom