New DE razor from King C Gillette

Was in my local Boots Opticians which is co-located with the general shop. They have a black Gillette DE Razor plus five blades for five pounds. When I pick up my new glasses I pick one up just because it's five pounds only. Will have a fiver left (just) after paying for my glasses :)

Was in my local Boots Opticians which is co-located with the general shop. They have a black Gillette DE Razor plus five blades for five pounds. When I pick up my new glasses I pick one up just because it's five pounds only. Will have a fiver left (just) after paying for my glasses :)
[/QUOTE

I would be interested to see a pic of that razor Claus, I wasn't aware Gillette made a black DE razor , at that price is a bargain:)

@BigBruce

And that my friend is how one takes pictures of a new razor! Great pictures, thanks for posting.

According to some, the blades above are the same as the Gillette Platinum blues, which I have used and are excellent.
Thanks Donnie. They could have been better but I was pushed for time so just used my phone!
Haven't tried the Platinum ones, but I currently have Nacet, Rubie, GSB, 3 different 7 o' Clocks and Winner from the Gillette stable. All great, but Nacets are my first choice blades.
@BigBruce

And that my friend is how one takes pictures of a new razor! Great pictures, thanks for posting.

According to some, the blades above are the same as the Gillette Platinum blues, which I have used and are excellent.

Had a head shave this morning with this new razor and blade combo and was quite impressed. A mild razor, quite a small blade gap but got a very good shave on a 2 day growth with 2 passes, blade was very smooth and no weepers or nicks. Not BBS but not far off. I could have tried a 3 pass but with the hot weather recently, a very close shave tends to cause easy irritation with all the extra sweat.
So I'm more than happy with the 2 pass.
Stirling Coconut Lime soap, Razorock Big Bruce brush (what else?) and a Stirling silicone collapsible bowl.
£13 well spent IMO, and I'll be purchasing some more blades if the price is right.

[/QUOTE]
Wasn't impressed with the blades that came with it, either.
Many are giving glowing feedback on the blade; similar to Gillette Platinum many say.
For £13.40 you cant knock it, especially as a Muhle is over twice the price.
Great value for money for what is essentially a DE89 head. It has gone back up to £20. Many seem to think it is the Muhle cap with the brass threaded post.

Its £15 in Asda ATM, I work at Asda and I checked the sales yesterday and we've only sold 2 in the last 5 weeks so there's a chance (at least at My shop) that they could reduce it further unless sales start picking up closer to christmas. I managed to pick up a Wilkinson sword classic premium gift set (razor, Soap and brush) last year for £3.50 although I'm tempted to pick up the king c. Gillette for £13.50 with my discount. I might ask my partner if they'll get me it for Christmas so I've got something to look forward to opening.

I currently own a Lord L6 and a Wilkinson sword classic premium... I am a bit worried that I still prefer my Lord L6 over the King c and Classic premium when I get it though. Although I guess even if I don't like it i'd be able to use the better handle on my lord L6

Morrisons introductory price was £13 about 3 weeks ago. I don't know how long it will remain at that price.
The blades are fantastic from what I hear so that is where they where they will be making the profit; on the future sales of those blades.

Morrisons introductory price was £13 about 3 weeks ago. I don't know how long it will remain at that price.
The blades are fantastic from what I hear so that is where they where they will be making the profit; on the future sales of those blades.

My understanding is that they're rebranded Gillette Platinums. Nothing wrong with that as GPs are great blades but there's potential to save a fair bit of money there by buying GPs instead of the KCG blades.

A shave off between the two blades would help confirm this. Anyone interested?

My understanding is that they're rebranded Gillette Platinums. Nothing wrong with that as GPs are great blades but there's potential to save a fair bit of money there by buying GPs instead of the KCG blades.

A shave off between the two blades would help confirm this. Anyone interested?

No. :) Even if on the bizarre chance that the KCG blades are some new "cutting edge" (pun intended) blade they are way over priced. Personally, I think they are indeed repackaged Platinums as that's the blade they sell (at the super inflated price of $5.00 per tuck) in the P&G AOS stores in the USA. The bigger point here that should be seen is why is Gillette using this Platinum as such(?). It is indeed IMO their "flagship" DE blade. Sorry, Polsilver/Wizamet freaks. :D

No. :) Even if on the bizarre chance that the KCG blades are some new "cutting edge" (pun intended) blade they are way over priced. Personally, I think they are indeed repackaged Platinums as that's the blade they sell (at the super inflated price of $5.00 per tuck) in the P&G AOS stores in the USA. The bigger point here that should be seen is why is Gillette using this Platinum as such(?). It is indeed IMO their "flagship" DE blade. Sorry, Polsilver/Wizamet freaks. :D

It does seem that way, and that would line in with trends of the past; the previous incarnations of Gillette Platinums eg the Swede etc were always seen to be their 'premium' line of DE blades, and also in India the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum is the premium line, where it costs 55 INR for a pack of 10, the next closest consumer grade blade is the MIC Gillette Wilkinson Sword which is 15 INR for 5 blades.
I think the Polsilver SI is a fine blade for sure, but I've never quite fully understood the hype/obsession with it; IMO I find the PPI Nacet & Permasharp SS to perform almost much the same (but I prefer the latter two)

You asked for it, you'll get it. KGC blade loaded in the Slim and I'll follow it up with a GP for comparison.

It'll take a few days. Try to contain your excitement in the interim.

Back
Top Bottom