New brush here also

Gentlemen,

For your perusal...

Both items were in fact finished before I left for the States, but I didn't have time to take pictures yet.
First item is a 'Keyhole' inspired brush from cherry wood, with a 20 mm knot:

Second is a razor with an olivewood handle. This is a prototype, made with one of Erwin's (Merwtje) NOS G1000 razors. The handle comes off relatively easily, and then you can put any alternative handle on that you can imagiine. I've taken this razor with me stateside, and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoothness and useability of the razor, especially considering its somewhat flimsy manufacturing quality. A keeper.

Cheers

Henk

Attachments

• _MG_1814.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 204
  • _MG_1813.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 204
Any head that has some sort of inner stem would easily be accomodated. A head that uses the stem (with thread) to tighten the top and base with the DE blade in between (like a NEW or a Tech) would be a little more difficult. The Golden NIb head (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=117&zenid=72dd8b66645e4d51be8f6b497d07985b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?m ... 497d07985b</a><!-- m -->) would be a good example of a 'Tech' style that is well adapted to making custom handles for.

Nice looking set there Henk.
I thought that TGN was the only vendor of razor kits.
Ive made a couple of razors for people with his kit and although they shave OK, the quality of the plating on them can/does vary a bit.
regards, beejay

beejay said:
Nice looking set there Henk.
I thought that TGN was the only vendor of razor kits.

Haven't been able to find any other supplier myself also, not even (yet) in China. The NOS G1000s are inexpensive complete Gillette razors that can be easily separated into handle and head.

Cheers

Henk

Henk - I've got a G1000 sat on the shelf at home, did you just use brute force to remove the plastic handle?

I'm assuming it's not threaded but just a simple rod that connects into the plastic?

neocaligatio said:
Henk - I've got a G1000 sat on the shelf at home, did you just use brute force to remove the plastic handle?

Force yes, brute no ;-)

I'm assuming it's not threaded but just a simple rod that connects into the plastic?

Yes, its just a press-fit. Squeeze a pen knife between the handle and the head and pry apart...

Henk

I should also add that I dug out my G1000 (a T4 1998 :lol: ) and gave it a go this morning with a feather. It's the mildest razor I own, even more than a tech - but for a neat and tidy shave it was very capable, hence my interest in jazzing mine up likewise. I'm heading down to John Davis wood-turning centre tomorrow after work to pick up a few bits - they have a wide variety of acrylics for making pens i.e. the perfect size for razor handles ;)

4601588522_4de4f4b0b6.jpg

He's right.... a little bit of force and off it came!

Back
Top Bottom