New Badger Brushes

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the best badger brush manufacturers

i seem to be leaning towards Shavemac but also like the look of a lot of these independent craftsman like
Chisel & hound, Mojo, turn & shave etc etc
Simpson’s are probably up there also but recently iv read a fair few reviews saying the knots on the Shavemac were better.
Any thoughts ?

Considering just the knots, IMO, I wouldn't buy another Shavemac. I've got 3 Shavemacs and they are excellent and beautiful but I also have 3 Masetos and I can't decide which knots are better. I tend to use the Masetos more often although I enjoy using the Shavemacs just as much. I have one Simpson and it's a shedder, one SV and it's lovely, behind the Shavemacs - Masetos though.

I have a Simpson Chubby 2 Manchurian for me it’s like the perfect brush..size is just right without being too big, lovely backbone but also super soft cushiony tips, it’s barely lost a few hairs in 4 years of use I rarely use any other brush it’s my daily driver. They are very expensive though

The SV 2.0 are a fantastic brush 26mm excellent size lovely and dense and super soft tips very much like the Manchurian but at nearly half the price, I would like to get another one of these myself they are excellent this would be my recommendation

Morris and Forndran are an excellent brush too the 2XL i would consider rebuying excellent quality but again very expensive

the other brands mentioned I haven’t tried so couldn’t comment lots of other alternatives for less money I’m sure people will be happy to recommend suppose a lot depends on what you are looking to spend I’ve seen the maseto’s recommended many times for a quality lower budget but again haven’t tried one

Get yourself a two band Shavemac at any size you want in any handle they have and be in full control of the brush you end up with, I love mine.
I also have a Rhodium knot set into a Alpha handle and to be honest that's even better than the shavemac but the cost of the V1 Outlaw Titanium handle plus the Rhodium knot made it a very expensive brush but I do love it.
Shavemac gives you outstanding quality at a reasonable price and you are in control at all times, they are custom brushes made to your specs.

Paul

Get one from Stephen Jagger from this forum.

His wood handles in particular are my favourite, they are absolute stunners. Check out Tony's Cocobolo one.

Here's the thread

A few fellas here have them and they are my favourite handles on the forum by quite some margin.

No idea about knots though, I know a few guys like the Oumo knots, I think Rob Blackmass is a badger fan and might be worth sending him a PM.

Boar is the new badger.

No, boar is boar. I'm not a fan of badger brushes.

I'd say it is more like badger brushes being like steak, lots of different types, the higher up you get the more expensive it gets.

Boar is more like bacon, not only does it come from the most majestic animal in the barnyard the almighty pig but it comes largely in two varieties, smoked and unsmoked, bleached and unbleached.

I have no idea what the point of my post is, aside from I really like unbleached boar brushes for shaving my face, but bacon is something that can be added to improve almost anything.

Place your trust in bacon, and it will repay your greatly.

No, boar is boar. I'm not a fan of badger brushes.

I'd say it is more like badger brushes being like steak, lots of different types, the higher up you get the more expensive it gets.

Boar is more like bacon, not only does it come from the most majestic animal in the barnyard the almighty pig but it comes largely in two varieties, smoked and unsmoked, bleached and unbleached.

I have no idea what the point of my post is, aside from I really like unbleached boar brushes for shaving my face, but bacon is something that can be added to improve almost anything.

Place your trust in bacon, and it will repay your greatly.
3600-black-md-t-in-bacon-we-trust.jpg

Back
Top Bottom