name me some good gillette razors, bit confused

Yeah, the signed scribble before the diamond. Also, I don't think the upright 1974-1989 is quite right as there were two distinct logos on the stamped Techs through the 1960s and 1970s, one like the 1964-1974 without the arrow and one more plain.
This was the registered trademark before '06.

1903%20blade.jpg

Screenshot 2021-11-12 114822.png

quick question guys im a bit confused is the single ring the gillette old or the new?

also whats the difference with the single ring and ball end? is it just the handle thats different?

quick question guys im a bit confused is the single ring the gillette old or the new?

also whats the difference with the single ring and ball end? is it just the handle thats different?
It's the 'Old' type: https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/Old Type.htm

The list is in date order, so find the single ring variants just after the prototype and double rings. The ball-end are a bit further down and have ... erm, a ball on the end of the handle.

hey guys just want to double check as I'm confused, are these SC or LC Gillette new safety razors?

I thought they were all LC

Attachments

• IMG_20220714_133850.jpg
    IMG_20220714_133850.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220714_133253.jpg
    IMG_20220714_133253.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220714_133238.jpg
    IMG_20220714_133238.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220714_133225.jpg
    IMG_20220714_133225.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220714_133213.jpg
    IMG_20220714_133213.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 11
... they are all long combs.
Yea that's what I thought just wanted to double check

Noticed that the base plate for the one on the right side is different?
It's the gillette 7 o clock and made in england

Yea that's what I thought just wanted to double check

Noticed that the base plate for the one on the right side is different?
It's the gillette 7 o clock and made in england

Yeah, that one (and Minora, Grom and a few other brands) were based on the 1940s flat bottom plate which morphed into the Tech in Britain. Generally, the ones with the long slot are American or the earlier 'New' style. What was "New" was the blade, actually, which had a long slot ... and so the razor top cap got a long slot to fit through the new blade. The channel in the baseplate accomodated the long slot.

The "New" blade:

1930s%20NEW%20Gillette%20Blade%20England.jpg

I put this picture in one of the many 'History of the GIllette Tech' threads ...

IMG_1407_Fotor.jpg

You can see how from 1-4 the long slot morphed into the twin slot. Even the RFB in position 4 which could have accomodated a full long bar top cap was more often found with a twin slot, but notice the bars are wider/longer for the RFB in 4 versus the Hybrid Tech in position 7. You can see that those slots are directly related to the single long slot with rare flat bottom long slotted baseplate in postition 3. The long bar in position 3 had to have the very central parts milled down a tad so that the handle screwed up properly.

I also pointed out that (somewhat ironically) the pre-War Tech in position 8 had a long bar representing the start of the Tech era and despite all those flat bottom and raised flat bottom changes in the 1940s, by the 1950s Gillette had standardised again on the long bar top cap as shown in position 9.

So, what does a short comb look like? I have shown you before @saj1985 but here's a snap ...

AM-JKLVlPzC4ZY_vjMD95jinHMrLAvmXfzgtuonI8cwhknNgF1hpCar69ohI77s9W8yBwRnzwS14-_hF7TslNEF3KTDzvvTzdWNt7tNRYBxnio7AMHV92bNG613_wDzg-r-Blo5nMvYDFK0dl-s7PHymZEbenQ=w1200

Short comb
Long Comb (British)
Long Comb - Goodwill
Long Comb - Flat Bottom

Last edited:
Yeah, that one (and Minora, Grom and a few other brands) were based on the 1940s flat bottom plate which morphed into the Tech in Britain. Generally, the ones with the long slot are American or the earlier 'New' style. What was "New" was the blade, actually, which had a long slot ... and so the razor top cap got a long slot to fit through the new blade. The channel in the baseplate accomodated the long slot.

The "New" blade:

1930s%20NEW%20Gillette%20Blade%20England.jpg

I put this picture in one of the many 'History of the GIllette Tech' threads ...

View attachment 90549

You can see how from 1-4 the long slot morphed into the twin slot. Even the RFB in position 4 which could have accomodated a full long bar top cap was more often found with a twin slot, but notice the bars are wider/longer for the RFB in 4 versus the Hybrid Tech in position 7. You can see that those slots are directly related to the single long slot with rare flat bottom long slotted baseplate in postition 3. The long bar in position 3 had to have the very central parts milled down a tad so that the handle screwed up properly.

I also pointed out that (somewhat ironically) the pre-War Tech in position 8 had a long bar representing the start of the Tech era and despite all those flat bottom and raised flat bottom changes in the 1940s, by the 1950s Gillette had standardised again on the long bar top cap as shown in position 9.

So, what does a short comb look like? I have shown you before @saj1985 but here's a snap ...

AM-JKLVlPzC4ZY_vjMD95jinHMrLAvmXfzgtuonI8cwhknNgF1hpCar69ohI77s9W8yBwRnzwS14-_hF7TslNEF3KTDzvvTzdWNt7tNRYBxnio7AMHV92bNG613_wDzg-r-Blo5nMvYDFK0dl-s7PHymZEbenQ=w1200

Short comb
Long Comb (British)
Long Comb - Goodwill
Long Comb - Flat Bottom
thats really helpful mate you seem clued up on this stuff

so why were they marketed as '7 o clock' 'minora' 'grom' etc instead of just one label like the 'gillette new'?

Grom?

AM-JKLU4uNr6IJ6oe5q71FBmvmLN-fAxHQxQ2PGXfCRi1DEuffsluDjutgjdp-Q4ihth6sYjoZuxA243RG01r_3Bc-RMFl2xGZt3SiF3riA3vB2U00B1SqpXEh9mBFgmdrEJTWIoKGmv88e2BWTk_T-2-OOrmA=w1200

AM-JKLUqanvRy4Xlp_yt3lxzaVulCTBHGC80avsJ1N0l5FeIR5PWW0BFAf9oGMullDc69eZqp4pN7XuRn9iSfgDG2IwmvqPoZ5AJGeeB7dl-kmvsxr_PMHpj3dpYttHYpgBcCxmcjRoBw9bgXtoDhgTC2tOBTA=w1200

Your 7 O'Clock is a lovely catch @saj1985
yea when i put it together i was thinking the bars on the top cap dont completely fill into the baseplate but obviously its clamped down securely and totally fine

mine seems the same just with '7 o clock' instead and the bakelite case is nice actually, how much do you reckon these go for?

yea when i put it together i was thinking the bars on the top cap dont completely fill into the baseplate but obviously its clamped down securely and totally fine

mine seems the same just with '7 o clock' instead and the bakelite case is nice actually, how much do you reckon these go for?

Watch a few on the usual auction sites to get a feel for price.

Or, keep it? You're a collector, now!

Gillette simply bought out all the competition and rather than removing them from the market, they put out their "New" razors under all those brands.
ahhh okay so take out the competition by buying them out

wonder if the general public know these sort of things when they think of the name gillette

Back
Top Bottom