I've been using my Cadman Guinness 24mm silvertip badger brush for a couple of years now, on and off in my rotation, but I never did take to badger brushes. They always feel a bit mop-ish to me. So I thought I'd give it a new life as a synthetic.

Off I went and ordered a 24mm synthetic knot from Maggard's Razors.

Today I un-knotted the old badger by steaming for about 40 mins in a saucepan (brush stood inside inner glass bowl floating on saucepan's water). After taking out the brush I was able to extract the knot by hand using firm force.

The bore hole was pretty clean but I used Dremel to clean off any remaining glue from the base of the hole.
Then used ultra-strong epoxy resin (not the 5-min setting stuff) to glue the new knot in.

Looks ok and fingers crossed it'll be stuck in there forever. I'm going to give it a couple of days to set properly before giving it a workout.

Da-dah! The final brush.

Last edited:
Great looking job! stunning colours.

I dropped and cracked a brush a while ago and a very nice guy on here turned (if that's what its called) or 'made' me a new one as the head was synthetic, and really nice to use.

Good luck with the new (!) brush.

Mark

I had my first shave with this brush today and I've got to say it might become my favourite.

Firmer than my L'Occitane but softer than my Whipped Dog and my Muhle. Just what I was looking for.
These Maggard knots are super soft on the skin. I'm glad I didn't go bigger than 24mm (that was the handle size anyway) as I already have a 26mm (Crown King) and I find it just a little too big.