My Fatboy? project.

G

Hi, First of all hello. I have been lurking on this forum for about month now but never had anything interesting to add so it was not until now when i registered.

I bought this razor for 3 quid with the postage. It looks poor but for the price I thought why not. I believe it is a Fatboy but not 100% sure about it? Any one can give me more info.
I won't see it in person until end of June. I plan to have is as a project. Hope its is only soap scum. Hopefully, boiling water with bicarb soda and toothbrush will clean it nicely. Any tips?
Regards,
Tie Signer
357619c0.jpg

7c8b5240.jpg

You bought a fatboy for £3 and you say it's poor :shock:

Im sure someone will come along that'll know better than i about cleaning it up, either way nice find.

Never tried one but always wanted to.

The handle of this 1959 fatboy is fairly chewed up but if the damage is just superficial there's no reason why it shouldn't turn out to be a perfectly usable example. There's a video of someone taking one apart somewhere, this might be a candidate for that, worth a look.

Thanks !
The seller said that the TTO works but blade angle regulation is locked. I hope its just the soap.
Is it ok to boil it?

antdad said:
The handle of this 1959 fatboy is fairly chewed up but if the damage is just superficial there's no reason why it shouldn't turn out to be a perfectly usable example. There's a video of someone taking one apart somewhere, this might be a candidate for that, worth a look.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8660" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8660</a><!-- l -->

Good luck with the project mate.

Interesting project, at 3 quid it's worth the risk.

As has been mentioned, the handle has been chewed up, so that's going to show whatever you do.
What worries me is the mechanism, if it's seized it is usually possible to fix. If it's freewheeling, it might not be possible.

I would not boil any razor, there are plastic parts in it that might not like it.
This one really needs a good session in the ultrasound before you do anything else.

When you get it, send me a PM if you want me to have a go at it, I have all the tools etc..and have been pretty successful in getting things back into shape.
Just pay return postage.

Cheers,

Max

Edit: from the looks of it the previous owner has tried to "unseize" the adjuster dial with vice grips, which might have done some damage to the mechanism.
The gap between the TTO knob and the handle is also a bit big (just compared to one of mine). Can you do a pic of the bottom of the TTO handle?
It would be interesting to see if this has the unscrewy, or the crimped end cap.

Thanks Max,
Will see how bad the situation looks and will let you know.
I won't be able to see it till the end of June - i bought it from foreign ebay and its is going to be delivered to my brother's place.
the only additional picture I have is from the top of the butterfly mechanism.

I just checked my fatboys, the one with the E-4 date code has the screwy endcap, the F and later ones have the crimp cap.
So we can probably assume the crimp caps started sometime in 1960.

Max

Back
Top Bottom