my dad's razor

This morning my dad gave me his razor he used in his 'young' days.
But I wondered if anyone here can tell me something more about it. He can't remember anymore.

The razor is marked 'G/N - Made in England'. Since this is a UK forum maybe someone has an answer regarding the make or the year.

The state it was in :
IMG_20210608_095920385_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210608_095825932_HDR.jpgIMG_20210608_095811305_HDR.jpg

You've come to the right place @sandorfi . I can pretty much guarantee there are a few awesome and helpful people on here who will provide you with more info than you could have ever imagined!
sassy gene wilder GIF

A smashing clean up! There will be someone along who’ll be able to correct me here, if I’m wrong. It looks to me like the handle of a Gillette ‘Old’ type razor; but the identification of the head eludes me. I’ve never seen ‘G/N’ before. So, it may be a ‘frankenrazor’; comprising different head and handle. Actually, the handle looks like similar to the ‘Old’ clone made by George Ibberson & Co. in the 1930s.

Irrespective of its providence, with some good prep, soap and technique, it will give a close, smooth shave.

Gillette OLD type clone, there were many made all over the world after Gillette's patent on the three hole blade ran out. I've seen them marked with the G/N before but I have no idea who that was. Should be a great shaver, just watch for blade alignment and adjust by the end tabs.

What did you clean the top of that thing with?

Many cutlers used to bolster their income, during the inter-war years, by producing clones of contemporary razors. The ‘Old’ was a favourite model; especially when the patent ran out circa 1917, prior to the ‘New Improved’ patent being approved. The ‘Olds’ were still in production up until the 1920s/30s, however. A glance at Achim/Mr. Razor’s site proves invaluable for providence…

What did you clean the top of that thing with?

The whole razor was cleaned with 'Belgom Chromes', a white liquid. Some leftover I normaly use to clean the exhausts of my motorcycle.

Thanks to all for the clarificaton, so now I know it's a 'Gillette old type clone from around the '30s, made in England'.
Today I will shave it. ;)

Last edited:
IMG_20210609_085145754_HDR.jpg

This morning I had my first shave with the 'gillette old type clone' loaded with a new Gilette Nacet, and what a wonderfull shave this was. Smooth and efficient.
BBS without irritation.

As the razor is from around the 30's (my father is born in '42) it is very very likely that this razor belonged to my fathers father in law, my granddad... So sentiment +10
Very very happy with it.

What a wonderful read. I love that you have been able to use your dad's razor.

I recall when I was growing up my dad using a DE razor. He lathered imperial leather hand soap to shave with. After he passed away I couldnt find the razor. Guessing he may have used a Tech. But no idea. I would have loved that connection!

Enjoy the shaves @sandorfi :)

Back
Top Bottom