MWF conclusion

I still chuckle :ROFLMAO:

Your conclusion was sound. It's not for you. You can't open a fresh box, lather up and get shaved. All of this witchcraft is just silly! Still, the process is fun, talking about it is fun, carry on.

I do have one soap that I couldn't get a good lather from and that was Trumper's hard soap. It was worth persisting with as I loved the scent (Eucris). In the end, I found that using is like a shaving stick worked out well. Wash your face and prep as normal, leaving some water on your face, then rub the soap directly on your face and build up from there. So, rather than loading the brush, you load your face and use the unloaded brush to build the lather.

Maybe it's your brush that's the problem? MWF is so yummy that it tries to hold onto it ...

A few years back, we discussed water hardness and while I live in a soft water area (literally a couple of miles from Mitchell's themselves) it's not the softest, but I did get a bottle of the hardest water we could find from our midst. To my suprise, MWF worked better (yes, better) with hard water. And, that was with a new puck straight out of the box!

I often wonder if it's a face vs bowl latherer thing, or maybe a generational thing, or maybe a geographical thing but none of that seems to map out. I can't even put it down to an experience thing, as MWF was the very first shaving soap I tried.

I think it's a Sociological conundrum rather than scientific ...

Still, if this amusing ritual doesn't work out then just let it dry out and use it as bath soap.

... or send it to me and I'll add it to the pile.

No harm in trying is there. :LOL:

I'm not convinced it'll work to be honest and its the final straw. I'll save my shower until after a shave tonight...if it doesn't produce a lather for a shave it'll go straight into the shower soap dish lol!

What if it does work though...that was the question went through my head. Miss out on one of the best lathers known to the shaving world for the sake of a few days in a bowl of water....be stupid not to try it!!

Indeed, what if it does work ...

Well, you'll be perpetuating a myth that voodoo and witchcraft makes MWF lather. If it does, please report that you circled the bowl thirteen times a day wearing nothing but sheepskin chaps, chanting "Baaa! Baaa! Shaving Sheep, give me all your wool!".

... in case you missed it in other MWF discussion threads.

Indeed, what if it does work ...

Well, you'll be perpetuating a myth that voodoo and witchcraft makes MWF lather. If it does, please report that you circled the bowl thirteen times a day wearing nothing but sheepskin chaps, chanting "Baaa! Baaa! Shaving Sheep, give me all your wool!".

I'll follow that ritual exactly and hope for the best!

I'll follow that ritual exactly and hope for the best!
Don't overthink it. I've just done a brief example for you. MWF dug out and you can see it's a dried puck (cake). I've opted to use a cheap(ish) synthetic:
IMG_20200719_130911.jpg
Bloomed for 60 seconds and loaded for 20 seconds. Palm lather - added some water - voila! Good to go:
IMG_20200719_131558.jpg

Oh, I forget to mention the chant. You need to do the chant. Beware of what you're signing up for though......
IMG_20200719_131726.jpg

OK so heres what happened. Lifted the very swollen puck out of the bowl and noticed how soft and squidgy it was so plunked it in a bowl. Decided to go at it with a DRY brush but followed the advice above fro @pjgh, 10 circles clockwise and 10 anticlockwise. Gathered up as much soap as that would give me and transferred it to my scuttle and this was the results.
20200719_183347.jpg
20200719_183352.jpg
20200719_183414.jpg

Now its probably not up to you guys levels of lather or @Boycie83 from earlier but I know what it is...its better than anything I could muster on Thursday working my way through all my brushes and bowls so I'm happy with that. Complete coincidence I used the dry brush as I felt how soft the puck was with my fingers.

Now obviously I can't bloom this for 3 days everytime I want to use it so the next test will be when I go to use it again will I get the same results with a quick bloom of the puck and a dry brush. Who knows!

No sheep chant was necessary and the amazing MWF post shave feel was great although I had to jump straight into the shower after and unfortunately lost it! Ah well, still a positive result in my eyes.

The Fat has avoided the shower for now anyway and I'm already looking forward to seeing how it performs next time.

DC

It's certainly progress ...

Like riding a bike. All wobbly one day and the next you can just do it. Something will click in your sense memory and it'll come together. Hopefully better and better each time. On the flip, some of us clearly just have mad skillz! ;)

Mad skills! :ROFLMAO: Thanks for the advice.

Used my MWF the other day and not the most user friendly soap. It is one you just have to stick with and make it work. The end results were very usable but personally I can't be bothered with the faffing around.

Alternatively just go with a soap you know works and then say 'that's why I don't use MWF'

It definitely has its quirks and needs that bit more effort. I'm still new to all this to happy to put the time in. Maybe, as time goes on I'll decide I've had enough and move on. Just good to be able to experience it (sort of)

Back
Top Bottom