Muhle R41 vs Parker 91R

Having had a good shave with my Muhle R41 yesterday, I thought to have a go with a new Parker 91R, another aggressive barberpole razor. It, too, requires a light touch and a lot of care when using but I found it to be a comfortable shave, which, for me, the R41 was not.

Then it occured to me that Parkers are rarely if never mentioned in TSR. Presumably that means that folk don't like/own Parkers so I wonder what is the perceived problem with them.

My first Parker I describe as the tarmac stripper but, with an EJ head on it's shoulders, it's one of my favoutite razors. With more experience, I enjoyed the R91 and got a BBS shave except my tiddly bits - but it is an aggressive razor, no mistake. I did my standard three pass shave except for the ATG tender tiddly bits of the third pass I used a Bluebeard's Revenge razor - a very mild EJ by any other name, with acid etching (and completely blows their "for Real Men" advertising - it's for pussy-cats! I'm a lumberjack and I'm alright .....).

So what about Parker razors, guys?

so I wonder what is the perceived problem with them.

For my part, it's purely been that I don't appreciate their looks, there's something I'm not keen on, can't quite put my finger on it. I suppose I've also been swayed by the fact that they make what basically amount to copies of other razors, they're not something that are as distinctive as other makes. And for all of that, they're not that much cheaper.

Ive no idea how they shave but when I started all the buzz was Merkur, Muhle etc so that's what I went with, I've not been sufficiently tempted to try a Parker.

Ditto with Weishi.

My very first DE was a Parker 91r. It was aggressive but I knew no better. Then one day the screw thread broke off with the lightest of pressure when I was tightening the head back on following a blade replacement.

I had been using it daily for about 13 months when it happened.

I've not owned a Parker razor, but patchy quality control has been reported on more than one ocassion, so I decided to steer clear.

ian

IanM said:
I've not owned a Parker razor, but patchy quality control has been reported on more than one ocassion, so I decided to steer clear.

ian

Ditto. There are plenty of threads around various forums confirming that quality is inconsistant.

I did own a Parker 90R and was lucky enough to get one with equal blade gaps either side of the head. My colleague at work was less fortunate and got a laser-enhanced scimitar on one side and a dull teaspoon the other... the gap was visibly different... oh and one morning I tightened the TTO mech and both silo doors self-ejected across the bathroom. Easy to put back together but not exactly confidence inspiring stuff.

Are Parkers made in a factory, does anyone know, or, as I suspect, in home and back-street workshops? I'd love to know the prices of them as they come out of India.

I like some of them because of their long and heavy handles. With earlier threads in mind, I examined my two Parkers and found the quality acceptable (EJ, Merkur excellent) and blade gaps consistent and true - by eye, anyway.

I've just had a second shave with the barberpole Parker and got a very good result - there was not a lot to shave off after yesterday's closeness. Even did the tender bits with the Parker today because the blade got a bit 'safe'. This one will stay in my rotation as a 100% Parker and the other with an EJ head, a comfort razor.

Not long to go and it's "Slant Time"!

Now you're talking ! An awful lot of myths surrounding the alleged blood seeking capabilities of slants imo. I bet you're just going to love them !

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Hoffritz amongst others made a nice slant back in the day but it's very similar to a 37. There were all sorts of US and German companies making a similar slant under licence in the 50's or thereabouts (I think it may have even been a Gillette design originally that they sold the rights to).

The 37 and 39 are the modern benchmark.

Back
Top Bottom